Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
Yukinobu
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Yukinobu Asami

Feature Request: workingDir parameter will be removed when VM restore, that specify the root directory of the datastore

Post by Yukinobu »

Hi,

Even though the datastore exists and can be referenced at destination ESXi host, the workingDir parameter was removed during restore with the following message.
2022/12/02 11:48:46 Removing workingDir parameter because it points to a non-existent datastore /vmfs/volumes/63652fbd-aed4fef5-8da8-48210b3d7365

After checking with support(Case # 05738353), we were told that the Veeam specification is that if the root directory of the datastore is specified, it is removed even if it exists.

Could you please fix or add a function to change the behavior so that the parameter is not deleted even if it is the root directory, or make it possible to specify the workingDir parameter when restoring?
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Feature Request: workingDir parameter will be removed when VM restore, that specify the root directory of the datast

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
let me check, but my understanding is, that one should use subfolders (not the root directory) for workingDir.

May I know, why you want to have it in the datastore root instead of using a folder?

Best regards,
Hannes
Yukinobu
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Yukinobu Asami

Re: Feature Request: workingDir parameter will be removed when VM restore, that specify the root directory of the datast

Post by Yukinobu »

Hi,

Since it is an end-user policy, the detailed reason is unknown, but they create a dedicated datastore for snapshot and vswap, etc., and designate that datastore as the workingDir.
There are already more than 100 VMs with this kind of setup.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
then I would say: time to change the setup to the recommended VMware settings.

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/1002929 - folders are the way to go. That avoids conflicts.

Best regards,
Hannes