Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
Potatoman
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Potatoman

Issues with Guest File Level Restore of VM

Post by Potatoman »

Hi All.

Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays & Happy new year!.

I've been having an issue with Veeam Community edition (Version: 11.0.1.1261) guest file level restore for a while and my Google FU has not turned up any luck. This process used to work when I first had Veeam installed and running my backups.

I have a Windows Server 2022 HyperVisor running Guest Windows Server 2022 VM's and some other linux instances. I'm trying to perform a guest file level restore of a Windows Virtual Machine snapshot as shown here:

https://ibb.co/JvB6YxN

The issue is I'm receiving an error when I go through the process: https://ibb.co/ss21Z5r
Failed to mount files: Mounter is in 'failed' state Mount Process aborted Agent failed to process method {Mount.GenericMount}.
I can't for the life of me figure this out. I was getting this with Veeam Community V10 as well, and I even upgraded to 11 a while back, which did not resolve it.

I have no idea how to fix. My physical MS HyperVisor is running on Server 2022, its not full blown SERVER hardware as it's more like a home lab, 3rd generation Core i7 with 32GB of memory, 1TB SSD, etc.

Would love to know if you've seen this before and can provide a resolution.
Potatoman
Lurker
Full Name: Potatoman

Re: Issues with Guest File Level Restore of VM

Post by Potatoman »

The issue is now resolved, the WatchGuard Threat Detection and Response (TDR) host sensor was causing the issue. I've reached out to the vendor to see what exclusions are required to allow this function to work correctly.
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1408 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Post by Andreas Neufert »

Thanks for sharing the solution.
alantobey
Lurker
Full Name: Tobi

Post by alantobey »

@potatoman, Thanks for sharing. Did you get a response from the vendor on the exclusions?