Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
zadrian
Expert
Liked: 4 times

How to set multiple timing for VBR backup jobs

Post by zadrian »

It seems that VBR job schedule can only set
- one fixed time
- fixed repeat hours (eg every 6 hrs or every 12 hrs)
- after certain job compeletes

But how do we set jobs to run like
- Weekdays 8am and 10pm
- Weekends 10pm

If I fire off the job using windows task scheduler, does it trigger off other jobs as well (if I run the job manually, there will be a pop-up asking if I want to run other linked jobs)
LickABrick
Enthusiast
Liked: 30 times
Full Name: Lick A Brick

Re: How to set multiple timing for VBR backup jobs

Post by LickABrick »

If you use Powershell there is the 'StartChainedJobs' parameter you can use to determine if chained jobs should run.

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=110
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2296 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur » 1 person likes this post

Hello Adrian

With these options, you can schedule your job as requested.
The job will start every 4 hours, but it will only be allowed to run at the requested times.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
zadrian
Expert

Post by zadrian »

Hi Mildur (I dunno why I cannot quote your post)

I was thinking of that option you provided but....

1. Will the jobs "time out" if like in your example, I put every 4 hrs or 6 hrs but the job runs at 0800 hrs & 2200 hrs (which is way beyond the 4 hrs or 6 hrs) ?
2. If I put like every 4 hours and put like 0800-1100hrs & 2200-0100 hrs (so that the job will will run with that time slots) or does the time time slots only determine the start times ?
Like in your pic, if the job run for 2 hours, will the job get "time out" or "out of scheduled period" error ??
Mildur
Product Manager

Post by Mildur »

Hello Adrian

The last post cannot be quoted per menu button. But you can copy the text and use the full editor to set the quote tags:

Code: Select all

[quote][/quote]
Denied hours in Time Period won't cancel a running job. I tested it in my lab.
The backup job started in the permitted hour (11:00-12:00) and finished successfully in the denied time period (12:00-13:00).
1. Will the jobs "time out" if like in your example, I put every 4 hrs or 6 hrs but the job runs at 0800 hrs & 2200 hrs (which is way beyond the 4 hrs or 6 hrs)?
With 4 hours setting, the job will start at the following times: 00, 04, 08, 12, 16, 20.
Because it is not allowed to start at 20:00, next start is moved to the next possible timeslot. Which is 22:00.
2. If I put like every 4 hours and put like 0800-1100hrs & 2200-0100 hrs (so that the job will will run with that time slots) or does the time time slots only determine the start times ?
You would have two backups between 2200 and 0100. One backup at 22:00, because start was moved from the 20:00 to 22:00.
And the other one at 00:00 which is a regular start for periodically 4 hours backups.

Best,
Fabian
zadrian
Expert

Post by zadrian »

Hi Mildur (I dunno why I cannot quote your post, the " icon is not there)

Anyway...thanks...
I think I will try it out....maybe set the 1st of chained jobs to run every hour then enable it like 0800-0900 & 2200-2300 over the week end and see.

Coz I have like 10 jobs each running 1 to 2 VMs (only DC & VCSA jobs each have 3 VMs), then the jobs are set to run after the other completes.

Except for surebackup jobs as there is no such timing function. We cannot set surebackup jobs to run after the previous job completes or have "auto-selection of virtual labs" I think I may post this as future requests ?
Mildur
Product Manager

Post by Mildur »

Hi Adrian

Please see my first statement in my last comment. I explained that the last comment in a topic cannot be quoted with the menu button.

While you can use chained jobs, we don't recommend it. Tom explained some of the disadvantages here:
Job Chaining

SureBackup Jobs can be be schedulled with "after this job":

Best,
Fabian