Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
jcofin13
Service Provider
Liked: 1 time

Orphaned Object Storage clean up

Post by jcofin13 »

I was reviewing some backups and noticed that there are a couple of servers showing up in "Object Storage Orphaned".

Both are older from earlier this year and likely not needed. What i cant figure out is why they are orphaned.

The jobs they are in are both still running and if i search the object storage area i can see the proper retention for both servers set and the correct number of restore points.

The orphaned ones have many restore points as well but like i said they are very old. If i look at the properties of the orphaned vms they are quite large. Many Terabytes. Id like to save this space/cost.

Can i just right click and delete them to purge them from AWS? I assume that is the correct way as that is how i have cleaned up orphaned backup and copy jobs locally.

I guess im wondering why they are orphaned if they are still part of the same job which appears to be working as expected? Seems odd.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2877 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Orphaned Object Storage clean up

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
yes, right click -> "delete from disk" is deleting the backups.
im wondering why they are orphaned if they are still part of the same job which appears to be working as expected?
that's something to check with support. Hard to guess on a forum (the description you gave makes no sense to me, because orphaned backups are backups without backup job)

Best regards,
Hannes