Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
squebel
Service Provider
Liked: 12 times

Backup size larger than data size

Post by squebel »

Hello,

I'm curious as to why a backup would result where the Backup Size would be larger than the Data Size. I have a job that has one large vm in it and the daily backup specs look like this:
  • - Read = 1TB
    - Transfered = 977GB
    - Data Size = 1.05TB
    - Backup Size = 1.17TB
Can anyone help me understand what's going on here?
ronnmartin61
Veeam Software
Liked: 131 times
Full Name: Ronn Martin

Re: Backup size larger than data size

Post by ronnmartin61 »

Not sure but perhaps check CBT function? Do you have an entry in the backup job stats for the VM that says "CBT data is invalid, failing over to legacy incremental backup..."? If so Veeam KB1113 links a VMware procedure for resetting.
squebel
Service Provider

Post by squebel »

No, not seeing anything like that. I ran a new Active Full 12 days ago which reset the CBT and have run Incremental jobs since. This job is using storage snapshots as the source. I have seen a correlation of that and this behavior.
Regnor
VeeaMVP
Liked: 291 times
Full Name: Max

Post by Regnor »

What storage do you use as a backup repository? And did you change anything in the storage optimization settings?
david.domask
Veeam Software
Liked: 316 times

Post by david.domask »

Hey @squebel, what's the target repository? Is it a deduplication repository by chance?
And is this an incremental run/Synthetic Full or an Active Full?

The reason I ask is that most Deduplication appliances are append-only, so any "overwrites" are actually appended to the file instead of overwriting older deleted data.

If it's not, a support case is almost certainly needed. Check Veeam KB 1832 and select the first option, selecting this job as the job to export.
David Domask | Product Management: Principal Analyst
squebel
Service Provider

Post by squebel »

The target report is a good old regular ReFS volume.

12 days ago, a new active full was run and has had incremental jobs ever since. No other full or synthetic jobs since then.
Regnor
VeeaMVP

Post by Regnor »

How did the stats of your first active full backup look? And how big was the actual backup file?
squebel
Service Provider

Post by squebel »

Here's an image of the backup chain as it exists today:
Regnor
VeeaMVP

Post by Regnor »

Seems like the deduplication is the problem. Your VBK looks OK, but the VIBs have a deduplication of 0,9x which means the backup size increases.
I would suggest that you let Veeam Support check that.
Klarmann
Novice
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Robert Klarmann

Post by Klarmann »

Hi,

any chance, that your source data are deduplicated (lying on a volume, that is already deduplicated?

BR
Robert
Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.
"Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies"
david.domask
Veeam Software
Liked: 316 times

Post by david.domask » 1 person likes this post

Hi @squebel, I strongly recommend to open a support case for review.

I think it would be best to just check all the conditions at once ;)
David Domask | Product Management: Principal Analyst
PerHolm
Service Provider
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Per Holm

Post by PerHolm » 1 person likes this post

We did have the same question in "Mismatch in VM size - Case # 05744673" and got the answer that Veeam rethe size from vCenter and therefore this mismatch.
In our case the data size = 2.6TB and the original size = 3.93TB and therefore the Customer did have problems during a restore.
squebel
Service Provider

Post by squebel » 1 person likes this post

Case 05764519 has been opened
squebel
Service Provider

Post by squebel »

So far Support's answers haven't been very helpful. What would cause the deduplication number to be less than 1? It's like there's some kind of processing being done to the file that's actually making it larger than the amount of backed up data. I've never really seen that before.
mcz
Veeam Legend
Liked: 173 times
Full Name: Michael

Post by mcz »

I had exactly the same scenario some years ago. VM size was 500 GB and backup size was 700 GB. It was really simple: I had to run defrag on the windows vm. Nowadays we don't think about it as we have no control over where the data gets written by the RAID-controller or the datastore itself. So why did defrag help? Turned out that the cluster size in windows was smaller than on the hypervisor and now windows had spread many small chunks of data on these (bigger) hypervisor blocks and that's why the final backup size was much smaller. So to make a small (extreme) example:

Windows holds 1 byte in cluster A
vmware writes that cluster into its own block X with size of 512 bytes => results in a waste of 511 bytes

In this example case defrag wouldn't help either, but if bigger files are spread across the whole virtual disk where one half of the block is full and the other half is empty, you are wasting a lot of space. Hope it helps.
squebel
Service Provider

Post by squebel »

@mcz - are you suggesting that the source vm (the one being backed up) should have a defrag run against it?
mcz
Veeam Legend

Post by mcz »

Yes. It is worth giving it a try - that defrag might also lead to a bigger increment size on the next run as probably a lot of blocks are changing but after that you should be fine. If that was the reason then your vbk shouldn't be bigger than the source vm, if not then you "only" wasted a bit of space for the increment...
Zew
Veteran
Liked: 80 times
Full Name: Aemilianus Kehler

Post by Zew »

I've only done something like this once: https://zewwy.ca/index.php/2016/05/28/r ... from-vmdk/.

It was about saving store space when using thin based disks on VMs. In which I made the following statement "This is generally only required on spindle discs, if your system is using SSD, or a logical unit based on RAID this won’t matter." If mcz is right, then my statement.... is wrong... oh dear god no...

I'm not sure how I could test this theory...
mcz
Veeam Legend

Post by mcz »

...run an application/script that generates lots of files of different sizes, say 400 GB in total, do a backup and then delete 80 % of them (via script). See what happens ;)
I haven't tested it but I'm sure that it will result in a difference IF the clustersize of vm and hypervisor is different.