Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
Harald
Enthusiast
Liked: 20 times
Full Name: Harald Husemann

v12 Beta: Trying PostgreSQL restore

Post by Harald »

Hello all,

<Note: I know that this is a technical question, but since it's related to v12 which is currently not released I can obviously not open a support case for it>

I'm currently playin' around with the latest beta of v12 (Build 12.0.0.1154), and tryin' to restore a PGSQL database which is backed up with application awareness including the WALs. Backup works, so, I tried to restore it to another host. This works basically, the database is restored and the transaction logs are replayed - but after a while, the restore stops and the PostgreSQL log shows a warning message reading "Restore ended before commit of transaction (...). Execute pg_wal_resume() to continue."
And a few minutes later, Veeam tells me that the restore failed because "Failed to start PostgreSQL instance: Failed to wait for recovery mode is enabled.", deletes all restored files and stops the database.
In my next try, I executed pg_wal_resume(), and afterwards, I could connect to the restored database, all tables are present, so, I'd suppose that the restore was sucessful - but, Veeam still thinks that it was unsusccessful and deletes everythings with the same error message as above.
Does anybody know what's going on here and can point me in the right direction?

Thanks and have a nice hackin',

Harald
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2286 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: v12 Beta: Trying PostgreSQL restore

Post by Mildur »

Hi Harald

Please reach out to your Veeam SE who shared the beta with you.
This person is responsible for all support requests regarding the beta.
No pre-release stuff should be discussed in these forums.

Thanks
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
Harald
Enthusiast
Liked: 20 times
Full Name: Harald Husemann

Re: v12 Beta: Trying PostgreSQL restore

Post by Harald »

Hi Mildur,

thanks for your response, I'll ask the SE about this. Just thought maybe someone of the experts here had tried it also, so I just gave it a try with the post.

Regards from Germany,

Harald