Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Johnjay89
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: John Jay

Veeam gateway server and StoreOnce direct connection

Post by Johnjay89 »

Hi all,

We are doing a storage refresh for our Veeam 11a infrastructure. Currently we have a physical Veeam server with 24 local drives configured as a ResFS repository. We have purchased a StoreOnce with 10Gb connectivity (SFP+). While I know I can connect the StoreOnce to our 10GB switches, our Veeam server has 2 unused 10Gb SFP ports. I am wondering if I could direct connect the StoreOnce to the Veeam server and have the Veeam server also act as the gateway server. The physical server has plenty of resources. We are short on 10Gb ports on our switches and a direct connection would be ideal to save on ports and have a more direct connection from the gateway server to the StoreOnce. I’ve been doing research, reading docs, etc. but cannot find any info as to whether or not it is something I could do. We have been hit by ransomware in the past so the more devices we can remove off the network switches the better. Ideally, the StoreOnce would only be managed via the Veeam server (preferably through a direct connection). Any feedback is much appreciated!

-John
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Veeam gateway server and StoreOnce direct connection

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
and welcome to the forums.

For Veeam, the physical topology is irrelevant. As long as network connectivity works, it's fine. See "used ports" section in the user guide.

If the physical backup server and the StoreOnce is the only devices you have, then I see no problem (as long as StoreOnce does not need any external connection)

Best regards,
Hannes