Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
icoaus
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Matt Chan

backup VM's on other (trusted) domain?

Post by icoaus »

Hi All,

I am trying to get replications for VM's from a cluster in one domain to another cluster in another domain using Veeam replication. The destination domain is the domain that the Veeam host is on.

I have tried 2 methods, both of which are receiving different errors:
1) Created a trust between the two domains so both clusters are correclty added to the one VMM instance, added that VMM instance to Veeam, and attempted replication to set up replication for a single VM from the source cluster/domain to the destination cluster/domain and received the following error:
29/02/2012 1:58:33 PM :: Task failed Error: Appropriate database ID was not found. HvRef: [f917cdf0-9e72-4a9d-8839-845cc6583ef0]

2) As an alternative, i simply added the source domain as a separate "Server" in Veeam as a Hyper-V cluster and attempted the repliation again and received the following error:
29/02/2012 2:00:55 PM :: Task failed Error: There is no VM 'SCVMM matt_temp Resources' (vmID: '09c6b802-7468-45a1-a117-1e0bf962b2fe') on the host '192.168.125.83' or backup agents were not installed on some of the cluster's node.

Having done all the above, I just tried a simple backup of the source VM and found the same error occurs in both cases, so it's actually nothing to do with replication, but just accessing the source VM for processing, possibly due to not being the same domain as the Veeam host.

Backups work fine for VM's in the same domain as the Veeam host.

Can anyone assist please?

thanks, Matt
icoaus
Novice

Re: backup VM's on other (trusted) domain?

Post by icoaus »

Just adding to this, I just tried adding one of the hosts as a stand alone host (not VMM, or Cluster), and have been successfully able to run a backups..
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Matt, is there a chance that SCVMM cluster ID has changed recently (e.g. cluster has been re-added to SCVMM)? This could explain the 1) issue. If that is the case, you can workaround by editing the corresponding DB record and specifying the new cluster ID (our support can assist you with this) or by re-adding SCVMM to Veeam console and re-creating your jobs. Thanks.
icoaus
Novice

Post by icoaus »

Just an update on this, i have resolved the issue.

I had recently added the problem cluster to SCVMM (after SCVMM had been added to Veeam)

First step was your're suggested re-add SCVMM, however i didn't want to do this and break my backup chains, but instead you can just open the properties of the already connected SCVMM, and step through the wizard again, and this will recognise the new hosts in the cluster.
This got me to the point where both options were throwing the same error, mentined in point 2).

To resolve this, i found some errors (can't remember doing what exactly) pointing to permission issues. I added the primary (scvmm's/veeams) domains "domain admins" group to the local administrators group on the other domain for all hosts and backups have now been successful.

So in the end it was a mixture of 2 issues.

cheers,
Matt
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Glad to hear you've resolved the issue and thanks for taking time to update this topic with resolution!