Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Aaron@CRi
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Aaron Fredricks

File Level Restore

Post by Aaron@CRi »

I have a file server with a 40 GB C: drive and 120 GB E: drive.

I don’t see my data drive (E:) when doing a file level restore, all I see is the C: drive. My session details for the job show that it processed all 160 GB of my file server. Is this a know issue? Any help would be great.

Aaron
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6700 times

Re: File Level Restore

Post by Gostev »

Aaron, this may happen due to VM using "dynamic" disk with more than one partition, which is not supported. Please use Windows Disk Management snap-in to look up the disk type you are using. If you are not using dynamic disk, please contact our support since we will need more data to investigate.
Aaron@CRi
Novice

Post by Aaron@CRi »

Both disk are listed as Basic under the Windows Disk Management. I have opened a case with Support. How long is the turn around for the support cases?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

It depends on severity and support level (Standard/Premier), but usually it is very fast. I will send a note to our support team too, to draw their attention.

One thing I would try while waiting is to restore the corresponding VMDK file locally (second restore option - restore VM files), and then use vmware-mount to mount it and restore the required file from there.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Aaron, another thing worth trying is to use File Level Restore plug-in, it uses different approach so this may help. I remember someone has posted here before that built-in file level restore did not show all drives, but the plug-in did show all drives correctly (it uses different approach).

Anyway - I know our support is already working with you on the case as I write this.
Aaron@CRi
Novice

Post by Aaron@CRi »

Is the plug-in a different application? Can you point me to a install and user guide?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »