Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
rajames
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Rob James

Best way to run a tape backup that doesnt clash with Backups/Backup Copies?

Post by rajames »

So I recently inherited a Veeam backup environment that had loads of issues, most of which i've resolved. But i'm having trouble with getting a successful tape backup.

Due to business rules/SLA's that i can't change, there are several backup jobs that run on different schedules, the shortest of which is a 4 hourly incremental backup, followed by a backup copy of the same backup.
That works fine.

But there was a tape backup job that hasn't worked in ages that does need to run. After sorting out the initial issues, i found the tape jobs were failing and causing failures because of the time they take to run, and locking files while being copied.
Even just running the tape job daily, it would run into issues not being able to get access to the backup copies because they were in use by the frequent backup copy jobs.
Even if the tape job did manage to get access to the files, i'd then get errors with the backup copy job saying the files were in use. They both interfere with each other.

The tape jobs take longer to run than the short backup cycle, hence i always get file in use errors, and i cant work out a way around it.

Any suggestions?

RJ
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Best way to run a tape backup that doesnt clash with Backups/Backup Copies?

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
and welcome to the forums.

Which backup mode are you using?

If backup chains are locked, then there are several options. One can try to make tape backups faster by adding hardware resources. That usually also improves backup and restore speed in general and is good for "emergency restores". Another alternative is increasing tape job priority (prevent this job from being interrupted) so that the backup job has to wait until tape finishes.

Best regards,
Hannes