Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
andyboy16
Enthusiast
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: A

Veeam Oracle Plugin for RMAN backups

Post by andyboy16 »

We have installed some Veeam Oracle plugin for RMAN backups, our DB team wants to see those files after they run the RMAN backups. Our SOBR is setup via NFS share that only our Veeam and ESXi hosts have access to and no one else. With that said, how can we allow our DB team to see restore points inside Veeam for this plugin via Enterprise manager without giving them access to all jobs.
Also, when they run their RMAN backup I can see the job running from the veeam console but I don't see it running on the Veeam Enterprise WebUI.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Veeam Oracle Plugin for RMAN backups

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
Enterprise Manager does not have plugin support, because "plugin-admins" can manage backups without Enterprise Manager.

If they want to see the files, then sharing the folders of the RMAN backups directly via NFS should do the job. Also other options like having a web server that shows the files come into my mind. The question is, how much sense it makes "showing files" via a 3rd party way.

Regards,
Hannes
mdiver
Veeam Legend
Liked: 33 times

Post by mdiver »

I just stumbled upon the same requirement in a customer project.
I would not fully agree on the justification that the admins can manage their backups without VBEM.

Veeam Explorer for Oracle also explicitely allows for recoveries of plugin backups:
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=110

So are there any plans to support VBEM recoveries of Plugin-DB backups (would also apply to SQL soon).
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
there are are no plans in foreseeable future for that. But we count your request +1 👍

For Oracle: while technically possible, there are only very few requests for that (probably because the Oracle admin can do it on his own).
For SQL: the Explorer for SQL cannot restore native SQL backups that were created via the plugin.

Best regards,
Hannes