Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
tbksoco2020
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Brandon Killingsworth

Permanent Virtual Data Lab Proxy?

Post by tbksoco2020 »

Just like before Veeam v11 with Veeam Linux Restore Helper Appliance, when you establish virtual data lab proxy it spins up a small linux environment to maintain the private cloud you will test in. Is there an option that you can build multiple small permanent proxy appliances for virtual data lab environment to run off of?
In our environment, we are required to perform commission and decommission change request every time a system is spun up and brought down. It is difficult to temporary spin up a virtual lab and go through our change process.
If this is not an option in current Veeam version, can there be an enhancement to be able to create permanent proxy appliances for Virtual Data Lab?
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 520 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: Permanent Virtual Data Lab Proxy?

Post by PetrM »

Hello Brandon and Welcome to Veeam R&D Forums!

Not sure that I clearly understand: "to perform commission and decommission change request every time a system is spun up and brought down." Could you please elaborate on it a bit more?

If you need a permanently running appliance, probably the checkbox "Keep the application group running after the job completes" can address your request? Please refer to this page of our help center for more details.

Thanks!
tbksoco2020
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Brandon Killingsworth

Post by tbksoco2020 »

Petr, I'm sorry I didn't catch your reply earlier! I will do a better job.
In our environment we have tight federal compliance regulations. One regulation is in our production and test environments, whether it is VMware VM or Physical machine, we have to provide a change record or request. It is a change ticket that shows the commissioning of a system or systems. There are always other sub record tickets attached for specific groups. Like DNS, firewall teams, DBA, etc. We also have to do the same record tickets when we decommission any system.
The problem we face is understanding how Veeam Data Lab completely works. I understand that when you start up a Veeam Data Lab, you are starting up 1 or more VM copies of production system. It is just a mirrored copy. But it does have separate IP addresses. Because of how locked down our environment is, we would not use DHCP and would use static IP addresses. Even though Virtual Data Lab is a mirrored copy of a system, we do not want to worry about security risks of having to create change records all the time. It is not possible for us to do, because the change process is so lengthy.
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 520 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Post by PetrM »

Hi Brandon!

I see it now, thanks for the explanation. We deploy it every time to guarantee the reliability of routing settings. However, how will a permanent appliance solve your issue with tickets? Anyway, there are multiple VMs to publish every time you start SureBackup and you'll get numerous change tickets anyway.

Thanks!