Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
l3gsh0t
Novice
Liked: 1 time

vCenter migration from Veeam server

Post by l3gsh0t »

I've inherited a mess and need to clean it up. We have 3 hosts in a cluster with vCenter 6.5.0 build 5973321 running in a Windows instance outside of the cluster. On that Windows instance also lives our Veeam BR 11 build 11.0.0.837 for the guests in the cluster.

I need to upgrade vCenter to 6.7 to add a new host (decommissioning old host) in the cluster.

I would like for vCenter to move to an appliance running in the cluster (not sure if this is best practice).

My question is what is the best method to do this?

I'm concerned that if we upgrade vCenter to an appliance, it will want to take the existing hostname / IP of the Veeam server. This could break backups and require a complete overhaul of Veeam.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: vCenter migration from Veeam server

Post by Mildur »

Hi

Welcome to the RnD forum.
If you migrate your vCenter to a new virtual appliance, you can use the following kb article to update the hostname/ip configuration in veeam:
https://www.veeam.com/kb1905

Please make sure to do migrate also the existing vCenter database. If the vCenter appliance will have a new database, all VMs will get new MoRefIDs. This will lead to new backup chains for all VMs.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
l3gsh0t
Novice

Post by l3gsh0t »

Thank you for that article. Would it be considered the best solution to change the vCenter network configuration during the migration instead of the Veeam server network configuration?

Thanks!
Mildur
Product Manager

Post by Mildur » 1 person likes this post

If I understand the official migration process correctly, both source windows vCenter and the new appliance must be connected and reachable over the network for the migration process. So your new vCenter will have a new network configuration anyway.

Best,
Fabian
chris.childerhose
Veeam Vanguard
Liked: 132 times
Full Name: Chris Childerhose

Post by chris.childerhose »

Yes, that is correct what Mildur is saying. The new appliance gets a temp IP in the same subnet as your current VC, and then once it gets to step two for migration, it will assume the name/IP of your old VC and migrate the data to the database. :)
-----------------------
Chris Childerhose
Veeam Vanguard / Veeam Legend / Veeam Ceritified Architect / VMCE
vExpert / VCAP-DCA / VCP8 / MCITP
Personal blog: https://just-virtualization.tech
Twitter: @cchilderhose
l3gsh0t
Novice

Post by l3gsh0t »

Chris, It sounds like you're telling me and what Mildur is telling me are conflicting.

Here's how I understand it. Let's say my Windows server (Veeam + vCenter) has an IP of 192.168.1.100. I upgrade/migrate vCenter to a virtual appliance. The upgrade/migration process will assume ownership of the hostname/IP 192.169.1.100 and the Windows server (now only Veeam) will need to be powered off.

Because I still need Veeam to run, and everything points to its IP or hostname, I will need to reconfigure the Windows server network configuration. In addition, I will need to reconfigure Veeam itself to ensure that the software can properly run.

Am I missing anything here? Thanks again!
chris.childerhose
Veeam Vanguard
Liked: 132 times
Full Name: Chris Childerhose

Post by chris.childerhose »

Yes if that is the case then you would have issues. My question is why is the Veeam and VC the same windows box? Yes you will need to figure out another way around this then.
-----------------------
Chris Childerhose
Veeam Vanguard / Veeam Legend / Veeam Ceritified Architect / VMCE
vExpert / VCAP-DCA / VCP8 / MCITP
Personal blog: https://just-virtualization.tech
Twitter: @cchilderhose
Mildur
Product Manager

Post by Mildur »

I‘m not experienced in vCenter upgrades, so you and Chris must be right.
If the new vCenter takes over the original ip address after the migration, It would be probably easier to change the ip address of the veeam server. If the veeam server hosts the configuration database, you need to update the database servername in the registry.
\\HKLM\Software\Veeam\Veeam Backup and Replication
Also you must update the CatalogSharedFolderPath in \\HKLM\SOFTWARE\Veeam\Veeam Backup Catalog.

Just check that the old vCenter services are disabled/removed before putting the veeam server back to the network.

Best,
Fabian
d.artzen
Enthusiast
Liked: 28 times
Full Name: Daniel Artzen

Post by d.artzen »

This may be a dumb question, but wouldn't it be easier to migrate first the Veeam Server to a new Windows machine, so the old Vcenter is alone on the windows? After that you can use the normal Vcenter Migration process to change from Windows to the VCSA. As Chris wrote, the migration will first create the new VCSA with a temporary hostname and IP-Address and in step 2 will take over the network configuration from the old Vcenter and the old system is powered down.
l3gsh0t
Novice

Post by l3gsh0t »

Chris: I've been asking myself why someone put vcenter and veeam on the same box. This is the hand I've been given, so I have to work around it.

Mildur: Are there any other considerations I need to think about? I'd rather spend the time planning now than being reactive to a mistake later.
Changes needed - Hostname, IP, Database server hostname in the registry...

d.artzen: We don't have another server capable of the workload that Veeam requires to move Veeam to.
Mildur
Product Manager

Post by Mildur »

From a Veeam side, you need to note the following after changing hostname and ip address:
- update the mentioned registry keys with the new hostname
- Do you use enterprise manager? It has to be reinstalled under the new hostname

Please also create a configuration backup before you start your procedure. If name changing lead to issues with Veeam Backup & Replication (VBR), you can uninstall VBR. Then install VBR again with a new database and import the configuration backup to get your configuration back.

I can't comment what you need todo from a vSphere perspective.
It depends on what happens after the migration. If the old vCenter machine gets shutdown without removing the vCenter installation, you probably need to boot the machine without network and manually remove all vCenter related components before connecting the server again with network. Or you will face several issues with your ESXI environment.

Best,
Fabian
Regnor
VeeaMVP
Liked: 291 times
Full Name: Max

Post by Regnor »

It's been a while since I migrated the last vCenter from Windows Server (which I'm glad off).
I think the migration utitily only shuts down the original Windows Server, but doesn't disable the services. So, if you need to power it on, do it without network.
Also keep in mind, that you will have to un/re-join Active Directory, as the new vCenter appliance keeps the hostname and will take over the computer object in AD.

While this all will work, I would still go with Daniel's approach and setup a clean windows instance for VBR.
Export the Veeam configuration, reinstall Windows & VBR, import the configuration and you should be good.
As long as the Windows installation and backups aren't on the same volume.
l3gsh0t
Novice

Post by l3gsh0t » 1 person likes this post

You guys have given me a lot to think about.

Thank you for the help everyone.