Management reporting and documentation
leockw
Influencer
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Leo

Failed backup job not show in report

Post by leockw »

Hi all,

I found the daily backup status report cannot show the failed job, however the report setting selected all items in job status. Any idea on this case?

Kind Regards,
Leo
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Failed backup job not show in report

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
I only found the "VM Daily Protection Status" (no "daily backup status") report and it works fine for me. I just started a backup job that failed immediately because of a misconfiguration. I switched to VeeamONE and ran the report. The failed job was shown correctly.

So that sounds like a technical issue. Please provide a support case ID for this issue, as requested when you click New Topic.

Best regards,
Hannes
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur »

I recommend to build your own report with the „Backup Infrastructure Custom Data“ Report:
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/one/r ... ml?ver=110

We are using this report each morning at 7am to get latest job state for each job (excluded: successful and idle). It‘s a good overview about every jobs status for us.
Scope: Backup Infrastructure
Object type: Backup Job
Columns: Job Name, Platform, Last Run Status, Last Run Start Time, Failure Message
Custom filters (Exclusions):
([Last Run Status] <> 'success' or [Last Run Status] is null) AND ([Last Run Status] <> 'idle' or [Last Run Status] is null)
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
nikolaj
Expert
Liked: 57 times

Post by nikolaj »

Hi Leo,

I have to agree with Hannes that it does sound either like a technical issue or a misunderstanding of sorts (meaning the name of that report). Could you please clarify what particular report you are asking about?
Also, please consider submitting a ticket to support or, if you're certain that the behavior is not problematic, sharing a couple of screenshots so we could get a better picture.

Thanks
JeroenL
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Jeroen Leeflang

Post by JeroenL »

I am seeing the same using the "Latest Job Status" report.

I run this report every morning over a backup enviroment running about 30 backup jobs, 8 backup copy jobs and 1 replication job.

About 12 backup jobs are backup jobs for most important application data and are configured using SQL Transaction log backups.

What I notice is that the primary backup runs fine, but errors in the SQL Transaction log backup are nog shown at all.

Today for example I have a 100% succes rate in the Veeam One "Latest Job Status" report.
When I check the backup status mails there are multiple Failed reports like this:
BACKUPSERVERNAME: [Failed] Backup_App_Silver_Disk_Starlims-Accept SQL Server Transaction Log Backup (1 objects) 1 failed

In this log there is an error:
Failed to perform internal backup (xxxx_xxxx): At least one full database backup must be performed before transaction log backup can be enabled
Transaction logs from some databases were not backed up for the last 19 intervals

And here is another one:
BACKUPSERVERNAME: [Failed] Backup_App_Silver_Disk_ABS-Accept SQL Server Transaction Log Backup (2 objects) 1 failed

With the following error in the log:
Collected SQL Server transaction logs do not match any existing database backup: ABSACCEP_01\ABS_AUDIT

The whole reason for the VeeamOne report is that is takes alle jobs and sends a single report containing the status off ALL jobs.
Now only the primary tasks are processed, but the most important SQL Transaction log that determines the actual RPO is skipped from the report.
These are very poorly reported within the Veeam Backup & Replication console too.
jorgedlcruz
Veeam Software
Liked: 619 times
Full Name: Jorge de la Cruz

Post by jorgedlcruz »

Hello Jeroen,
I am asking internally to double check if this is expected in v11/v11a and if so, if we have, it addressed in upcoming releases (I remember seeing much more detail on these sessions). Please bear with me.

Thanks
Jorge de la Cruz
Senior Product Manager | Veeam ONE @ Veeam Software

@jorgedlcruz
https://www.jorgedelacruz.es / https://jorgedelacruz.uk
vExpert 2014-2024 / InfluxAce / Grafana Champion
RomanK
Veeam Software
Liked: 168 times

Post by RomanK »

Hi all,

There is no SQL Transaction log backups in Latest Job Status for v11 or v11a. These jobs differ slightly from the regular backup jobs therefore they are missed at the moment.

I think we should consider this as a feature request. @JeroenL please let us know what exact data you need to see in the report. Do you interested in a separate record for each SQL Transaction log job?

Thanks
JeroenL
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Jeroen Leeflang

Post by JeroenL »

Sorry for the late response.
I found a workarround using the Database Protection History report.
This shows me if RPO requirements are met and how many were missed, but no details why a RPO miss occured and what the errors are.
I have to login to the Veeam Console, and browse trough the session logs to find the specific log and see what went wrong.

I would be very happy if the Latest Job status report would also include the SQL Transaction log backup sessions and show warnings and errors just like regular backups, replications or backup copy jobs.
And while we're at it, also include the Catalyst Copy job status to this report. This is also a job with a status and it is also missing from the report.
RomanK
Veeam Software
Liked: 168 times

Post by RomanK »

Hello Jeroen,

Thanks for the update and feedback.

There are two types of sessions. The first is the log session which is run every 24 hours. The second is an interval session that runs every 15 minutes.
In interval sessions, you browse through the Console with all the details. The log session at the end of the day would contain the state only.

Now if we imagine that there are 10 jobs and there are some issues with the server, all 10 jobs would generate 10 errors every 15 minutes. Which means 40 lines in the report per hour. Would that be really useful data? Not to mention the load to the VBR from our side, but that is the question for our scalability teams. Having that is it a bit complicated to thread such sessions as usual jobs.

On the other side, we could report on a log session once every 24 hours with the last session state and the error. But it also seems a bit useless for your case.

I'm going to discuss everything with the teams but if you have something else in your mind please feel free to share.

Thanks