Monitoring and reporting for Veeam Backup & Replication, VMware vSphere and Microsoft Hyper-V in a single System Center Operations Manager Console
felfoldi
Novice
Liked: never

Health Service Private Bytes Threshold

Post by felfoldi »

The collector server keeps on logging that the health service is above the threshold and restarting the health service. We have disabled this rule on the server, but is there a thershold we should update the rule with instead? Is there an issue we need to look at as to why this threshold is being hit? The collector runs on its own server montoring a VC instance of 20 ESX hosts...
dgjedde
Novice

Post by dgjedde »

felfoldi,

Please re-enable that rule and follow the instructions on page 137 of http://www.nworks.com/downloads/vmware/ ... ide_E4.pdf. That should fix your problem.

Thanks,

Dean Gjedde
Veeam Support
felfoldi
Novice

Post by felfoldi »

The vaule type base is hexdecimal... default vaule being 780, correct?

Update Version Store Size (the Ops Mgr Agent queue/cache Db).
dgjedde
Novice

Post by dgjedde »

Yes it is hex value, which is 1400 by default.
Dilip
Novice
Full Name: DilipKumar Manchala

Re: Health Service Private Bytes Threshold

Post by Dilip »

hi, I have similar problem with nworks where CPU and Memory hitting 100% utilization. I am running nworks
application in virtual machine with 1vCPU(unlimited) and 2GB RM. The number of ESX hosts are 32.

I have made changes as recommended in page 137 in the article http://www.nworks.com/downloads/vmware/ ... ide_E4.pdf.

But I still see the CPU and Memory utilization hitting 100% and the SCOM agent getting stopped after 6 hours Are there any server recommended specifications for installing nworks??? Are there any know performance issues with nworks MP.

Thanks,Dilip
Alec King
VP, Product Management
Liked: 362 times

Post by Alec King »

Hi Dilip,

For 32 ESX Hosts I recommend you give the nworks VM 2 x vCPU. The SCOM agent in particular will benefit from multi-threading with dual CPU.
You may also find that 3GB RAM is required (this depends on various factors, but if you are also seeing high memory usage then I advise to increase it :) )

Please also just check you have made all the changes listed in the Admin Guide - there are overrides for Monitors, and Rules, and also registry changes. See pages 139 - 141 of Admin Guide http://www.veeam.com/MP_VMware_OM07_Adm ... 4.5_pg.pdf

Are you running our latest version MP + Collector? Version 4.5 has scalability improvements in the data feed into SCOM that will reduce CPU usage.

Note - if you download latest 4.5 MP package,you will receive an 'overrides MP' as well as the core MP. The Overrides MP is a pre-packaged set of overrides for Health Service/Monitoring Host Private Bytes etc. It saves you from making those changes manually. However you should have the 4.5 MP (and Collector) installed before trying to use the Overrides MP, as all components should be from the same package.

Thanks!
Alec King
nworks Product Manager
Veeam Software
Dilip
Novice

Post by Dilip »

Hi Alec, Thanks for the info. I would also like to know how to disable the VM's monitoring in Nwork MP(Just the Vitrual Machines). Because I am having 1000 VM's and I think SCOM agent is taking high amount of CPU and Memory while pushing this data to SCOM server.

Thanks & Regards,
DilipKumar
Alec King
VP, Product Management
Liked: 362 times

Post by Alec King »

Hi Dilip

You can remove all VM data, but it is valuable data....I'd first advise

1. upgrade to 4.5 if you have not already. This has great improvements in scalability and performance
2. do not disable ALL VM data, but just (for example) VM disk i/o, net i/o, and vDisk usage. This will cut data volume for VMs by up to 50%, and you will still see VMs in SCOM with key performance metrics of CPU and RAM.

Here is how to accomplish step 2 -
Open nworks IU, select Collector
Go to Data Filters tab
Uncheck following boxes -
Virtual Machine Disk Properties
Virtual Machine Disk Stats
Virtual Machine Net Stats
...and click "Save All" button.

If you do decide you want to remove all VMs from SCOM views completely, let me know - slightly different process.

Thanks!
Alec
Alec King
Vice President, Product Management
Veeam Software
Dilip
Novice

Post by Dilip »

Hi Alec,

I am already running on verion 4.5 of nworks.Regarding the step2 I do want the nworks to collect the information about the
VM's..but what all I want is, I do not want the SCOM agent to push the VM data to the SCOM server.

I hope this is how the SCOM agent works....When I enable the monitoring of VM"s in SCOM Management Console then it will come and picks the data from the Nworks machine and then pushes the data to SCOM server.

If I disable the monitoring of VM's in SCOM Management Console then the agent won't pick any data about the VM's from the nworks machine and I think this reduces the overhead on the SCOM agent because it doesn't require to push the VM's data which is huge.

I would to know how to disable the VM's (VM's discovery and VM's stats abt CPU, Memory, vNetwork )in SCOM Console.

Thanks,
Dilip
Dilip
Novice

Post by Dilip »

Hi Alec, sorry there is typo error in my previous post. I would like to know how to disable the VM's in SCOM Console both alerting and monitoring of VM's.

Thanks,
DilipKumar