Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
TimoW
Service Provider
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Timo Wende

Backup by one company + VMware by another = possible?

Post by TimoW »

Dear Community,

suppose I want to establish a Veeam Backup Server in a customer environment with many ESX hosts.
However, this environment (ESX hosts, vCenter and everything that goes with it) is managed by another service provider.
Would a reasonable backup with VBR of VMs still be possible, even if the service provider does not provide access to the vCenter (even not to the ESX hosts)?
Installing the Veeam Agent for Windows in the VMs would certainly be an alternative. But I would actually like to avoid that.

Is there possibly another way that I just don't see yet?

Or is it possible to create a user in vCenter that only has permissions to backup to a specific resource pool and has no other permissions?

Thanks a lot for your ideas.

Kind regards
Timo
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2289 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Backup by one company + VMware by another = possible?

Post by Mildur » 1 person likes this post

Hi Timo
Would a reasonable backup with VBR of VMs still be possible, even if the service provider does not provide access to the vCenter (even not to the ESX hosts)?
No. For VM backup jobs Veeam needs access to vCenter and ESXI hosts.
Without it, Veeam Agent is the only option.
Or is it possible to create a user in vCenter that only has permissions to backup to a specific resource pool and has no other permissions?
Granular permissions are supported for vCenter connections. Please check our user guide for the required permissions. Also note the restore permissions. Doing a backup without the possibility to recover an entire vm doesn‘t sound good to me.
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=110

And If I remember correctly, you need to provide the permission to the entire datastore. That can be an issue if you have different resource pools on the same datastore.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software