Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
HansMeiser
Enthusiast
Liked: never

Backing Up DB with Filesteam

Post by HansMeiser »

Hello,

currently we use Veeam Backup & Replication 11.

One of our SQL Testserver uses filestream Feature and some filestreamdata. I expect that filestreamdata were backed up correctly, because i can see in Veeam SQL Explorer a section about "BLOB stores" which shows the used filestream-path.
Currently i did not try a restore. Which is the correct way?
When deleting the database and the filestream Path i expect that a restore would bring back all the data and the path. Is this true?
How would it work if i just want to create a copy of the database by restoring using a new name. What happens to the filestreamdata? Using both DBs the same Filepath or is also the filepath duplicated?

Thank you,
Hans
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: Backing Up DB with Filesteam

Post by PetrM »

Hi Hans,

If you're restoring to the original location, all database files including BLOB stores on production will be overwritten by the restored ones. If you're restoring the database to a different location, for instance, it could be the same server but you specify a new database name: you can specify paths for all database files including BLOB stores. For example, you can create a folder directly from the restore wizard for BLOB stores.

Two different databases cannot use the same file stream data, every database has its own set of data files.

Thanks!
HansMeiser
Enthusiast
Liked: never

Re: Backing Up DB with Filestream

Post by HansMeiser »

Hello Petr,

thanks for your answer. The described behaviour seems to be very logical to me. I can confirm that in backupbrowser i see a new part "blob storage" for my specific DB, so i think backing up was succesful. Unfortunately i could not do a final restore test, because the admin of the application itself was not contactable these days. I think this will happen to the end of the week.

This leads me to a new question: Currently we have SQL Backups configured to be 1 time a day and transaction logs are backupped every hour (kept for 5 days). Are filestream data backed up also only once a day or are they corresponding to transaction log backups? So i think to have a consistent database in every case filestreamdata should be part of transaction logs. right? Or is this solved in an other way?

Thank you,
Hans