Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
marius roma
Veteran
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Mario

Standard vs. Enterprise versions

Post by marius roma »

I am not sure this is the right forum for my question, but I hope to get the information I need...
In a document whose title is "Veeam Backup & Replication
Enterprise and Standard Editions" I read that "Enterprise Edition includes the ability to restore Windows guest files directly to their original location (virtual machine) from search results in web-based Veeam Enterprise Manager. No in-guest agent is required, and file restores can be delegated to help desk personnel. Standard Edition does not include these capabilities.".
If I use the Standard Edition, can I restore a single file from a backup? What is the procedure I must use? Have I to restore the whole of the VM?
In the same document I read that "Enterprise Edition maintains a catalog (index) of Windows guest files on disk and in archived backups; Standard Edition only includes files in backups currently on disk.".
If I use the Standard Edition and I presume that a backup contains a file I deleted by mistake (the file is not available anynmore on my VM) can I recover it from the backup? Again, have I to restore the whole VM or is there a faster way?
Where can I locate a user manual or a demo versione of the Standard version, so that I can see which features are available?
Best regards
marius
rawtaz
Expert
Liked: 15 times

Re: Standard vs. Enterprise versions

Post by rawtaz »

I think I know the answers to all of these questions as I've been through them myself, but I figure it's better the Veeam guys answer this to avoid potential confusion :)
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Marius,

With Standard version you can restore a single file directly from a backup or replica without the need to restore the whole VM. Instant File-Level Recovery feature is just for that. The statement you are referring to talks about 1-Click FLR feature available in Enterprise version only.

Regarding your second question, the only difference between Enterprise and Standard versions in these terms is that Enterprise version does allow for searching files in both current and archived backups, while the Standard version can only search for guest files in backups which are currently on disk, and not in archived backups. If the required file is in the backup that is stored on disk, you can restore it without the need to restore the whole VM.

File-Level restore functionality is covered in detail in the user guide, which is available on the product web page under the Resources tab along with other product documentation.
marius roma
Veteran
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Mario

Post by marius roma »

Thank you for the answer.
If my company buys the Standard version now, will it be possible to upgrade to the enterprise version in the future?
Regards
marius
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Yes, you can upgrade at any time paying the difference.