buhrova
Novice
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Barbora Uhrova

Backup VMs via IP address

Post by buhrova »

Support ID: 05852540

Hello,
I have a question, I need to backup 5 VMs via IP address because the host is not supported by Veeam, could I do this with Community Edition?

Thank you for your answers.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Backup VMs via IP address

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Barbora,

You can use agent backup whenever VM backup option does not work for you. Community edition includes the agent management functionality, so you can try it for sure!
buhrova
Novice

Post by buhrova »

Hello,
thank you for answer. I asked because after rescan of protection groupe this error appears on all VMs: Unable to install backup agent: cannot connect to server Error: The network path was not found. (ERROR_BAD_NETPATH).
Veeam backup server and VMs are in the same network without domain, so I am using local admin (not built-in) for Veeam. UAC is enabled, firewall is disabled.

I opened this case on Veeam support but I am not sure they'll help me because my last case with "free licensed Veeeam" was closed wihout an answer.

I'll be glad for any help.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Barbora,

Try to open admin share \\<IP address>\admin$ for one of the machines in the question with the account used in the protection group from your B&R server machine to make sure that's not a connection/resolution issue.
buhrova
Novice

Post by buhrova »

Admin share is accessible with veeam account. I tried another account just to be sure it is not issue with credentials. But it still doesn't work :(
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

To clarify, you've used IP address or host name while adding machine to the protection group? Try to ipconfig /flushdns just in case something remains cached on the VBR side (as DNS cache is used on the first place). Also please make sure that credentials for the machine are set in computername\username format.
buhrova
Novice

Post by buhrova »

Yes, exactly. I tried the command but it didn't work for me. I've used credentials in .\username format and hostname\username format and nothing.
BUT... I tried to use just username and it works!!

I don't know how it works because I had a similar problem when ONLY username format was wrong and .\username format worked.

Anyway, thank you so much for helping me to solve this issue :D
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

.\ resolves into localhost name of the local machine, so you were requesting access for account VBRmachinename\user from client machine. You are welcome, glad you nailed it!