Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
DanielJ
Service Provider
Liked: 32 times
Full Name: Daniel Johansson

Feature request: Assign proxy threads per job

Post by DanielJ »

The relationship between proxies, repositories and jobs could use some improvement.

When sharing a proxy between multiple jobs, and one of those jobs is running a full backup, it hogs all the proxy threads for itself, and the other jobs which would normally complete an incremental in 5-10 minutes now take anything between 12-24 hours or more, for as long as the full job is running. Being able to dedicate a number of proxy threads to each job would ensure that all jobs could run. Even being able to manually pause the big job, to let the others run for a few minutes, would be helpful.

But to me the best solution seems to be that this manual assignment of jobs to proxies, and proxies to repositories, would be replaced with a flexible scheduler that would use a pool of proxy servers and assign them as needed, spreading the load as evenly as possible. Of course this wouldn't be possible when using Jet-repositories located on the proxies themselves, only when using object storage. The proxy-located metadata repository should be able to be automatically transferred to another proxy in minutes.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: Feature request: Assign proxy threads per job

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hey Daniel,

Good request, but as you state yourself... The best solution seems to be... ;-). We are in the progress of discussing such items and what would be the best for this. In my opinion (at this point in time) it would be indeed something like a pool of proxy servers, however, I would not put the metadata on each proxy to be honest. I would look into something else for that
DanielJ
Service Provider
Liked: 32 times
Full Name: Daniel Johansson

Re: Feature request: Assign proxy threads per job

Post by DanielJ »

Sounds good. If the metadata can reside somewhere other than on the proxy (maybe in the database), then so much the better. I thought it maybe had to be immediately available to the processes running on the proxy.