Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
NorthGuard
Service Provider
Liked: 6 times

Advice for best way to configure backup to QNAP with plans to go Immutable

Post by NorthGuard »

I am putting in a B&R device with a QNAP NAS as the storage repository for local, onsite backups. ( I will also offload offsite )

What is the best way to configure the storage connection to the QNAP knowing that once v12 comes out, I want to utilize the QNAP as onsite immutable storage?

Can I configure the QNAP with Quobjects, add the storage to B&R as a S3 compatible storage, then somehow enable immutability after the fact?

What would be the recommended setup to make the transition to v12 and Immutability as clean as possible?
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2223 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Advice for best way to configure backup to QNAP with plans to go Immutable

Post by Mildur » 1 person likes this post

Hi Northguard

Quobjects would be supported as an S3 repository with immutability. You can find tested systems and Quobjects version on our Veeam Ready list:
https://www.veeam.com/alliance-partner- ... get&page=1

Before you start using any Qnap device for such implementation, please test the performance of the solution. I don’t expect that any Qnap device will bring the desired performance as an object storage repository.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
NorthGuard
Service Provider

Post by NorthGuard »

If I have object lock enabled on the QNAP, but don't enable that option when setting up the repository in Veeam, I get an error:
Failed to disable backup immutability. S3 Object Lock feature is enabled on the selected bucket.

If I then enabled "make recent backups immutable" in Veeam, I get a different error:
Unable to use backup immutability: the Compliance mode is not supported

I can only add the QNAP Object storage if immutability is disabled on both sides. Which makes sense as v11 doesn't yet support it as a direct bucket write.

So back to my original question:
If I setup the backup to just dump an "unprotected" bucket, what is my "transfer" process to have onsite immutability using the QNAP?
Mildur
Product Manager

Post by Mildur »

Enable versioning and object lock, but disable retention. It looks like you have enabled retention with mode „compliance“.

Only Veeam can assign the retention and compliance mode to each object which requires it. Using retention policies on the appliance itself is not supported.

Best,
Fabian
NorthGuard
Service Provider

Post by NorthGuard »

That did the trick!

So by doing that and setting the option in Veeam for "Make recent backups immutable for x days," is this now immutable local storage?

And if it is, I am confused as I thought s3 object immutability was only available in v12 ( unless you have setup SOBR )?
Mildur
Product Manager

Post by Mildur »

Hi Northguard
So by doing that and setting the option in Veeam for "Make recent backups immutable for x days," is this now immutable local storage?
Yes. Immutability will be managed by veeam for each offloaded object.
And if it is, I am confused as I thought s3 object immutability was only available in v12 ( unless you have setup SOBR )?
Of course, V12 is required for backups direct to Object Storage. In V11 you still need a SOBR.

You may register yourself for the Launch Event. V12 is not far away :) https://go.veeam.com/v12

Best,
Fabian
NorthGuard
Service Provider

Post by NorthGuard »

My "previous" Veeam config was a LOCAL repository that is a some sort of local storage ( usb drive, internal drives, etc ) and a CLOUD repository that is an immutable Wasabi bucket. I would then create a SOBR with LOCAL as the Performance Tier and CLOUD as the Placement Tier.

My goal is to use the QNAP for LOCAL and eventually utilize it for onsite immutability once v12 is released.

It looks like as long as I create a S3 repository pointing to the QNAP, I cannot add it as a Performance tier... which means I can't then use CLOUD and SOBR.

Should I just configure "standard" storage on the QNAP now, configure LOCAL to point to that, add it as Performance tier.... etc until v12 comes out?

And if that is the way to do it for now, what would my transition look like once v12 comes out?
Mildur
Product Manager

Post by Mildur » 1 person likes this post

It looks like as long as I create a S3 repository pointing to the QNAP, I cannot add it as a Performance tier
Possible in v12. Object storage can then also be used as a performance tier extend.
Should I just configure "standard" storage on the QNAP now, configure LOCAL to point to that, add it as Performance tier.... etc until v12 comes out?
Yes, for now the QNAP has to be used with SMB share or iSCSI for the performance tier.
And if that is the way to do it for now, what would my transition look like once v12 comes out?
V12 will include a new feature called VeeaMover. It lets you move backup files block cloning aware between different repositories. What it means for your scenario needs to be tested after V12 is out.

As in my first answer, if you want to use QNAP with Quobjects, you need to run s3 testing against your NAS model. I don‘t know the model you plan to use. Cheap Home NAS devices and unsuitable disk type maybe be affected by poor s3 performance.
Run a PoC with test machines and 1-2TB of data before selling this configuration/design to your customers. Backup and complete restore must be tested to know what RTO you can expect from such solution.

Best,
Fabian
TonioRoffo
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Yves Smolders

Post by TonioRoffo »

I'd go with minio on your NAS machines instead. Open source and easy to "install" because it's a single executable file.
TonioRoffo
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Yves Smolders

Post by TonioRoffo »

Edit: Perhaps not. I did some tests with a fairly low end synology (DS420) and speeds never exceed 25MB/sec, vs nearly 110 in SMB. It's good to test minio on a stand alone machine, but it needs way higher specs than a NAS.