Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
siranee.ja
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times

surereplica job error one vm replica boot in emergency mode

Post by siranee.ja »

1. vm named x1 , os centos 7
2. The backup job on dc site every hour
3. There are replicate job both dc and dr after the backup job
4. The backup copy job every day both dc and dr after working hour
5. There are surebackup and surereplicate dc and dr every day
5. every thing work perfectly until there was electrical circuit maintenance on dr site. I had to power off the vm and the physical manchine on dr site since 31 Dec 2022 around 6 o'clock until 01 Jan 2023 around 18 o'clock ( the dr site power on )
6. only job surereplica hr daily to dr (which have vm x1 in the job) on 02 Jan 2023 reported failed to boot.
7. After I saw the result on 02 Jan 2023 , I tried to change the restore point on the webapp1 dr replica to test for the boot but nothing work (the vm boot with emergency mode). I decided to delete the replica dr and restored from the backup copy repo on dr site. Every thing work fine.
The question is " What make this situation happend?" How can I prevent this problem? This is a small vm which can restore quite quickly but I have others large vms.

Case #05819750
Could anyone give me a clue?
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: surereplica job error one vm replica boot in emergency mode

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
just to clarify... the source VM reboots fine and it's just the replica that has issues to boot? And the latest "fine" state is replicated from the source?

A clean shutdown should not lead to issues. But well, it's "should" and whether it's Windows or Linux, I have seen issues with both and no idea how to guess on a forum.

Best regards,
Hannes
siranee.ja
Enthusiast

Post by siranee.ja »

Thanks for reply Hannes,
To clarify
1. The source VM is on DC site and not power off. During DR site power off ,we disabled all dr jobs.
2. The backup job is on DC site and backup hourly.
3. The replicate job replicate from "backup job DC repository" to both DC and DR
hourly run after "backup job".
4. The backup copy job run daily from "backup job repository" to both DC and DR.
5. Surebackup for backup repository vm work fine. Surereplica for DC vm work fine. Only Surereplica for DR vm couldn't boot normally but boot in emergency mode.
6. I restored the replica DR from "backup copy job repository on DR site" with the latest point on that day. After restored success, I had to map the new replica within the repliate to DR job and after calculate digest success, it can be replicated incremental (from the "backup job DC repository") fine with surereplica job work fine.

Best Regards,
Siranee
siranee.ja
Enthusiast

Post by siranee.ja »

Hi All,
This issue occurred again but different vm named x2. I had to power off the vm and the physical manchine on dr site on Sunday 5 Feb 2023 around 7 am - 12 pm. Case # 05858613

Best Regards,
Siranee