Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Daniel_I
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Daniel

Restoring using CD and external hard drive/ Veeam 11

Post by Daniel_I »

So I need to replace a system due to a bad drive, I am replacing with identical hardware.
My plan was to boot up the replacement machine with the recovery CD and using the image on an external drive, I have done this before no issues using a 4TB formatted with NTFS. But this time around it does not recognize the WD 8TB drive with the backups on it used to have a 4TB drive but had to upgrade. When the drive was formatted only options the Synology NAS gave where EXT4 or FAT32, the drive works because I can plug it back into the USB on the Synology NAS and all the data is there. The CD restore is a Windows environment and Windows does not support EXT4, is there an extra step to get the Recovery CD to recognize EXT4 partition?

Veeam 11
Western Digital MyBook 8TB / EXT4 partition
Restoring a Dell OptiPlex same exact hardware as the previous workstation.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2304 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Restoring using CD and external hard drive/ Veeam 11

Post by Mildur »

Hi Daniel

Welcome to the forum.

Yes, the recovery media can only read filesystems supported by windows.

Connect the disk to the synology again. Configure a SMB share which provides the backup files. Then use the recovery media to restore your computer from the backup files on this SMB Share. You can follow this step by step guide:
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/agent ... tml?ver=50

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
Daniel_I
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Daniel

Re: Restoring using CD and external hard drive/ Veeam 11

Post by Daniel_I »

Thank you for the quick response and that is what I thought, I wanted to confirm before formatting the drive on a Windows device. Losing the backup stored on that drive is not too big of an issue they are copies from the repository.