Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
indyjake
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Jake

Veeam B&R Database Size

Post by indyjake »

I recently upgraded our Veeam installation from v5 to v6. Veeam runs on a single physical server and currently uses network based backups to connect to our three vSphere 4.0 hosts and backup our ~30 VMs. The Veeam server has MS SQL 2005 installed (not express) locally. Since the upgrade, I've noticed that the Veeam database log file grows very large at times. It came to my attention when I ran out of space on the disk and realized the LDF file was more than 70GB in size. I noticed that the full Veeam database backup file is only around 50MB, so I don't really think there are any uncommitted transactions in the log file. I was able to shrink the log file and also reset the initial size setting via a script I found on MSDN, but I've noticed that over the course of two nights, the log file has grown again from 200MB to more than 1GB. My question is what types of transactional data is stored within the log file and does anyone have any idea why I may be seeing this issue now? Thanks!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Veeam B&R Database Size

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Jake, what is the recovery model used for Veeam B&R database?
indyjake
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Jake

Post by indyjake »

Hi Vitaliy, the database is set to Full. I don't think I've ever changed it, so that must have been what it was after being installed by Veeam v4 a couple of years ago unless a subsequent Veeam upgrade changed it.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6647 times

Post by Gostev »

Jake, please just change the recovery mode of Veeam database to simple. Thanks!