Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
cwilson
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: cwilson

Warning on DAS Backup

Post by cwilson »

Hi All,

I have two esx hosts out of the twenty that we backup that use DAS for their vm's. One of these servers reports a Warning on every vm in the backup job each time its run. The other server completes successfully. The proxy setting is set to automatic on both.

I am trying to understand why this one server reports this error on each backup. The warning is the: unable to establish connection directly to the san volume.

As mentioned though, i do not get this error on the other host, it completes successfully and 'is' backing up the vm since the size changes between backups.

We are running version 6.0.0.153

Any ideas or thoughts would be helpful.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Warning on DAS Backup

Post by foggy »

Corey, are both hosts processed by the same proxy? Am I understanding you right that the second host is backed up using Direct SAN mode and the first one fails over to Network?
cwilson
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: cwilson

Post by cwilson »

Hi Foggy,

They are both using the same proxy. I have only one backup proxy configured since it appears only one can be created. The proxy setting for both jobs is set to 'Automatic selection'. Both hosts have vm's on local das, yet only one host complains during backup where the other completes without any warnings.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Can you see the VMFS volumes for both storages in the Disk Management snap-in on the proxy machine?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6700 times

Post by Gostev »

cwilson wrote:I have only one backup proxy configured since it appears only one can be created.
What do you mean by that? You can create as many proxies as you like! And with DAS, for best performance you do want at least one virtual proxy on each host.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6700 times

Post by Gostev »

cwilson wrote:The warning is the: unable to establish connection directly to the san volume.
Discussed this issue with the devs, and we would like to investigate this issue more closely (considering you are only using DAS, this is unexpected). If you could open a support case and PM me the ID, I would appreciate it a lot. Thanks!