Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
nathanrsafti
Influencer
Liked: 10 times
Full Name: Nathan

[V12] Best way to update Legacy VMWare Backup Copy jobs to the new V12 standard?

Post by nathanrsafti »

Perhaps I am missing something but there doesn't seem to be a way to update the legacy jobs to use the new V12 standard. Is there a way to do this? Or do I need to recreate the copy jobs and let the full backups copy over again?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: [V12] Best way to update Legacy VMWare Backup Copy jobs to the new V12 standard?

Post by Dima P. » 2 people like this post

Hello Nathan,

1. For periodic backup copy (interval-based) with any backup format you'll need to create a new job and map the backup. During mapping we will synthesize full backup from your current backup and build a per-vm chains for every object. Next job run will be incremental. Let us know how it goes!

2. For mirror mode backup copy with single backup file, you can:
a. keep the job but detach current backup chain from the current job > settings are preserved but new per-vm chain backup starts with full
b. as in the first case - create a new job and map the backup. During mapping we will synthesize full backup from your current backup and build a per-vm chains for every object. Next job run will be incremental.

3. For mirror mode backup copy with v11 per-machine backup file, you just need to click 'upgrade back file format' and everything will be preserved.

P.S. I've updated this post with all backup copy upgrade scenarios for new comers. Thank you!
nathanrsafti
Influencer

Re: [V12] Best way to update Legacy VMWare Backup Copy jobs to the new V12 standard?

Post by nathanrsafti » 1 person likes this post

Dima,

Thanks for the quick response! I have created new copy jobs and most seem to be working, but for one of them I'm getting the error message "Backup copy job requires source backup chain format to be upgraded". I will contact Veeam support to see if they have any insight for this issue.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. » 2 people like this post

You are welcome Nathan!

Please make sure that source for this backup copy i.e. primary backup job has the upgraded backup chain format: likely it's running pre-v12 per-machine backup file format and needs to be upgraded too. In order to do that you need to go to Home > Backup node, find the backup of the mentioned primary job and hit Upgrade backup chain. Once done - do not forget to enable the primary job (as it will be disabled during the upgrade procedure). After the primary backup chain upgrade you can run this backup copy job without any issues.
nathanrsafti
Influencer

Post by nathanrsafti » 1 person likes this post

Thank you so much! That fixed it for me.

I wish this process was a bit more obvious as it seems many of the primary jobs needed the backup chain upgrade, even with the backup copies working correctly post-migration.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Awesome, thank you for the heads up and honest feedback Nathan!
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. » 1 person likes this post

Guys, if you want to upgrade legacy jobs in automated fashion we've prepared a script sample, please take a look at this KB article: How to Automate Backup Copy Backup Format Upgrade. Hope it helps!
ITP-Stan
Service Provider
Liked: 55 times
Full Name: Stan (IF-IT4U)

Post by ITP-Stan »

Hello Dmitry,

Does the script not work for all backup copy job types?
Get-VBRLegacyBackupCopySourceJob : Unsupported job type: SimpleBackupCopyPolicy. Expected type: BackupSync
ITP-Stan
Service Provider

Post by ITP-Stan »

I succeeded by following the instructions here to convert from Immediate Single to True Per-VM.
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... _type.html

What about Agent back-ups that are being stored in a B&R repository and subsequent backup copy jobs that copy these agent back-ups?
Do they need a chain upgrade of some sorts?
ITP-Stan
Service Provider

Post by ITP-Stan »

Very strange phenomena when I tested this out for my homelab:
After the steps to upgrade the back-up chain I ran a back-up.

For my main backup, nothing changed much, I was using per-VM files already (Scale-Out).
I see in the same folder a new VIB file and a per-VM VBM file appeared with the name of the VM.
example LinuxServer_EB867.vbm where LinuxServer is the name of the VM.

I then have a copy-job in immediate mode that automatically starts.
It used to be in single mode (all VM's in 1 VIB/VBK) and here a new folder is created with a _1 appended (example: name_of_the_copy_job_1).
In this new folder i have a sub-folder with the name of my main back-up job as expected.
In that folder I now have a new VBK (synthetic full based on mapped back-up chain), a VIB file and a VBM file per-VM.

What is really strange however is that for 1 of 3 VM's the VBM file has a different name.
So for this specific VM I have these file:
- LinuxServer.40D2023-02-19T230608_815E.vbk
- LinuxServer.40D2023-02-20T150023_90EC.vib
- SomeOtherVMtemplateName_2023-02-20_A7725.vbm

The VBM file does not have the name LinuxServer......vbm but it has the name of some old template VM that is on that ESXi host, but that does not appear in any of the back-up jobs.
When I open the VBM file with notepad I see the item "MetaFileName=..." that mentions this "SomeOtherVMtemplateName_2023-02-20_A7725.vbm" name.
The item "JobName=..." however lists the correct VM name "BackupCopy Job\Backup Job - LinuxServer"

So where B&R got the idea to name this specific VBM file based on an old template on the ESXi host instead of the actual name of the VM baffles me.
I think there are still some bugs to iron out, I'll wait a bit before upgrading any production sites at customers (as I always do as best-practice anyway).
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Does the script not work for all backup copy job types?
For the interval-based backup copy, mirror mode does not require job recreation. Please check my previous post.
What about Agent back-ups that are being stored in a B&R repository and subsequent backup copy jobs that copy these agent back-ups? Do they need a chain upgrade of some sorts?
If that was interval-based backup copy, then yes - same approach. For mirror mode - you can just run new backup copy once and it will upgrade itself allowing you to add other platforms.
Very strange phenomena when I tested this out for my homelab
Thank you for the feedback, I'll check with the team, stay tuned.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Stan,

Unfortunately we were not able to confirm this issue, is it possible to ask you to raise a support ticket and share the debug log bundle? Thank you!
ITP-Stan
Service Provider

Post by ITP-Stan »

This is a NFR license on my homelab for testing, is it even possible to raise a support ticket?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Yes, see the 5th paragraph of the forum rules.
ITP-Stan
Service Provider

Post by ITP-Stan »

I had to create the case (#05900782) as a general inquiry case, as for a technical support case the support ID is mandatory and that I don't have for a NFR license.
Just to be clear, I don't really need support to look at this, I don't care about the name in my HomeLab environment.
But maybe it would be interesting for Veeam to check on this bug.

My First guess, this specific VM has a . (dot) in the name. Maybe this triggers a bug in the naming logic for creating the VBM files.
cgsm
Enthusiast
Liked: 19 times

Post by cgsm »

Hello,

I tried the KB4387 powershell script and received the error "Unsupported job type: SimpleBackupCopyPolicy. Expected type: BackupSync". I looked for an "upgrade" icon for a Copy job but don't see anything, hence why I tried to use the powershell script.

I have successfully upgraded my main repos (that get copied in the backup copy job) successfully. The Copy Job now errors with "Backup copy must be upgraded to per-machine format to match the source backup job format" (somewhat expected).

Of note, my Copy Job copies backups immediately (mirror mode?) to an immutable repo. This immutable repo was already set up with the v11 per-machine backup files setting selected.

This all being said, is the only way to fix this to delete the job (thus disconnecting the backup chain) and creating a new job?
doktornotor
Enthusiast
Liked: 29 times

Post by doktornotor »

Dima P. wrote: Feb 20, 2023 9:29 pm If that was interval-based backup copy, then yes - same approach. For mirror mode - you can just run new backup copy once and it will upgrade itself allowing you to add other platforms.
I must be missing something here. So, having a "legacy" backup copy job (periodic copy) for Windows Agent Backup job which includes a single Windows server machine - what's that point in "upgrading" it? :?
ITP-Stan
Service Provider

Post by ITP-Stan »

For "SimpleBackupCopyPolicy" the script is not needed.
You should be able to follow the instructions in: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... _type.html

TLDR: You need to detach the chain from the copy job, edit the copyjob settings to map to the existing chain and then run the job.
It will create a new chain folder "name_of_copy_job_1" and create virtual fulls in the job.
If you use ReFS/XFS it should use fast block cloning and you don't need the extra storage space.
cgsm
Enthusiast

Post by cgsm »

@ITP-Stan

I tried your instructions (and the instructions in the KB and posted previously earlier in this thread). No go.

Steps I performed: Disabled backup copy job, Detach chain, Edit copy job mapping the detached chain, Ran Active Full. I continue to get the error "Backup copy must be upgraded to per-machine format to match the source backup job format.".

I looked deeper into this, and I am wondering if the error is because I have a two very old (~11 months old) non-split backup (all VMs backed up in one file) from before I switched to per-machine backup files. This non-split backup is immutable until 12 months has passed. I.e.: my immutable repo has 2 very old non-split backup files and a whole ton of per-machine files.
ITP-Stan
Service Provider

Post by ITP-Stan »

My source back-up was already per-VM for me.
Maybe that's the difference.
Maybe open a support case and ask for guidance there.
cgsm
Enthusiast

Post by cgsm »

@ ITP-Stan

My source backups are currently (and have been for 10 months) per-machine. Only the very old (11 months), and only on immutable backup-copy repo, are not split.

I did open case #05909901 since this is a pretty big breakage for us.
Rumple
Service Provider
Liked: 14 times
Full Name: Mark Hodges

Post by Rumple » 3 people like this post

I have to say, this whole job upgrade process is a shit show.
I have 6 different servers backing up 1 VM at each site and then copying offsite to a central server...about as simple as you can get. I literally cannot find how to upgrade the job, the chains or anything.
Why in the holy hell would you have not built that into the upgrade process automatically..or given us a prompt to allow you to do it?

the instructions make it seem like all you do is find the backup section under home and right click the Job and right click to select upgrade...but I don't have upgrade in that list at all. Move/copy/detach/delete...and properties..
I started looking at the repository settings...I do not have per machine backup files because A...there is a single VM...and B...its literally a local SSD so per machine backup files shouldn't apply....
I haven't even gotten to my copy jobs yet

Also...why in the hell do all your screenshots of a process stop at the first step - https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=120
how about you actually show what else needs to be changed AFTER you click properties....because thats actually the important details...
DerOest
Enthusiast
Liked: 42 times

Post by DerOest »

Dima P. wrote: Feb 14, 2023 6:21 pm 1. For periodic backup copy (interval-based) with any backup format you'll need to create a new job and map the backup. During mapping we will synthesize full backup from your current backup and build a per-vm chains for every object. Next job run will be incremental. Let us know how it goes!
How it goes? Not well ;-<
I've just created Case #05934818

Unable to substract path [path removed]. Roots are different. (System.Exception)
awinkler77
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: André Winkler

Post by awinkler77 »

Hi all,

we encounter same error like @DerOest. Is there a solution yet for the problem in your support case?

Regards
André
RubinCompServ
Service Provider
Liked: 65 times
Full Name: David Rubin

Post by RubinCompServ »

Rumple wrote: Mar 10, 2023 6:58 pm Also...why in the hell do all your screenshots of a process stop at the first step - https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=120
how about you actually show what else needs to be changed AFTER you click properties....because thats actually the important details...
That link is to show you how to edit a job. If you aren't familiar with the options within the job, that information is already here: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=120 (which that page already says).
DerOest
Enthusiast
Liked: 42 times

Post by DerOest » 1 person likes this post

DerOest wrote: Mar 11, 2023 8:52 pm How it goes? Not well ;-<
I've just created Case #05934818

Unable to substract path [path removed]. Roots are different. (System.Exception)
It got worse - the failed chain upgrade caused the whole Veeam Server to not execute Jobs anymore - no backups, mirrors etc. started on their scheduled time!
This was caused solely by the failed upgraded chain:

Code: Select all

C:\ProgramData\Veeam\Backup\Svc.VeeamBackup.log
[16.03.2023 14:18:56.364] <119> Error        JobsSchedulerManager Error in job dispatcher manager loop
[16.03.2023 14:18:56.364] <119> Error        Unable to substract path [[i]removed[/i]]. Roots are different. (System.Exception)
Dmitriy solved it for us in case #05945897
Root cause, as i understand it: Our source backup job contains a "/" in its name.

The Mirror Job tries to create a corresponding folder (on Windows ReFS repository) with "/" in the folder name - which is a forbidden special character on the filesystem.
We altered the database to use a "_" instead.
All jobs are running again
ITP-Stan
Service Provider

Post by ITP-Stan » 1 person likes this post

Should go on the bug list.
Hopefully they forgot to sanitise for the / and other characters are fine. I wonder what a job name with "..\..\..\" would do ...
Servior
Novice
Liked: 1 time

Post by Servior »

Dima P. wrote: Feb 14, 2023 6:21 pm Hello Nathan,

1. For periodic backup copy (interval-based) with any backup format you'll need to create a new job and map the backup. During mapping we will synthesize full backup from your current backup and build a per-vm chains for every object. Next job run will be incremental. Let us know how it goes!

2. For mirror mode backup copy with single backup file, you can:
a. keep the job but detach current backup chain from the current job > settings are preserved but new per-vm chain backup starts with full
b. as in the first case - create a new job and map the backup. During mapping we will synthesize full backup from your current backup and build a per-vm chains for every object. Next job run will be incremental.

3. For mirror mode backup copy with v11 per-machine backup file, you just need to click 'upgrade back file format' and everything will be preserved.

P.S. I've updated this post with all backup copy upgrade scenarios for new comers. Thank you!
Should a new backup copy job without mapping existing copy-data be possible, too?
I think it should, since it is the same as starting from scratch. So a new full copy should be initiated. Tested the mentioned situation and received the error "sequence contains no elements".
Source job format has been updated.
McFarTech
Novice
Full Name: Craig McFarlane

[MERGED] Upgrade Copy Jobs. Support case #02429350

Post by McFarTech »

Hello.

I have upgraded to v12 and this upgraded copy stuff just seems a bit lacking in the finer details.

So i have upgraded the backup chain format on one of my backup jobs. Thats process was pretty straight forward and painless. Took a little while but no dramas.

So I then have a periodic copy job that i need to upgrade. From what i read i need to create a new copy. So as i am creating a new copy job i assume this is all new data and the original copy job data is redundant or am i supposed to be able to use this data in an upgraded way? I mean we have 8 weeks on disk and now i am back to square one with a new copy job?

Sorry if i am missing something. Can anyone clarify it please.
McFarTech
Novice
Full Name: Craig McFarlane

Post by McFarTech » 1 person likes this post

I have now run the PowerShell script that support sent me but again this is just not clear at all.

https://www.veeam.com/kb4387

As an example , Backup Job = BackupJob1 , Copy Job = BackupJob1-Copy

When i run the script it disables Copy Job = BackupJob1-Copy and creates a new BackupJob1-Copy_Upgraded

Ok so then what? When i look at my backup job i can see that BackupJob1-Copy and BackupJob1-Copy_upgraded are set as secondary backup targets. Do i just remove BackupJob1-Copy ? also do i just delete the original BackupJob1-Copy at this point?

Its just not clear at all this process. The finer details really matter here. Anyone advise?