Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
mkretzer
Veeam Legend
Liked: 388 times

V12 High Compression

Post by mkretzer »

From whats new:

"High compression now provides up to 20% (OS disks) and 60% (database disks) more data reduction at the cost of 2x CPU usage and 2x slower restores."

Where is this CPU load increasing? On the proxy or the repo? Why is it slower? Just because of the CPU increase? Or because of more IOPS?

Markus
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: V12 High Compression

Post by PetrM »

Hi Markus,

CPU load is increased on a proxy server where the source Data Mover is running, this Data Mover provides a higher compression ratio but the compression algorithm causes higher CPU consumption. The restore of heavily compressed data is also slower because of an increased duration of a data block decompression.

Thanks!
mkretzer
Veeam Legend

Post by mkretzer »

Sounds interesting. Our limit is the storage IO most of the time. I wonder if less IO means faster backups for us with higher compression...
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Post by PetrM »

Are you talking about the source storage (a.k.a "production datastore")? If yes, what do you mean by "less IO" and why do you expect less I/O?

Basically, the backup processing rate depends on the "bottleneck" location. If the slowest stage in the data processing conveyor is the source storage ("Source" in the backup job statistics) and this "bottleneck" is not shifted to "Proxy" after increasing the compression algorithm, then you'll have a higher compression ratio on the same backup speed.

Thanks!
mkretzer
Veeam Legend

Post by mkretzer »

No, target storage -> Smaller Backups, less IO
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Less I/O does mean faster backups in case I/O is the bottleneck, but you should look at a larger block to achieve less I/O, not the size of the backup.