Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
vipthomps
Service Provider
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: Eric Thompson

v6 - RE-IP fails on Server 2008 R2 replica

Post by vipthomps »

Applied Patch 3 this morning and updated my Re-IP rules (my example subnets are 10.0.1.0 and 10.0.2.0). My hosts are a bit behind at 4.1 Update 1 with enterprise licensing.

Performing a failover test of a Win7 VM worked flawlessly with the updated IP in my DR site (E1000 nic). From this same replica job i have 2 server 2008 R2 VMs. One has an E1000 the other a VMXNET3 adapter. The E1000 machine does NOT have SP1 and the VMXNET3 machine does have SP1 installed

Neither machine will take the Re-IP. occasionally the Summary tab of the VM will show the correct Re-IP address but logging into the VM and running IP config shows an 169.x.x.x DHCP address since I don't have a DHCP server on that VLAN. Rebooting the server again manually doesn't kick in the IP either and it stays at DHCP.

Anyone else running into this? Trawled the forums for a bit but searching for "re-ip" doesn't return any results at all so made it a bit tough to find
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: v6 - RE-IP fails on Server 2008 R2 replica

Post by Gostev »

Please search this forum for VMXNET3. There is a hotfix from Microsoft that you need to install when using VMXNET3 VNICs.
vipthomps
Service Provider

Post by vipthomps »

Thanks. The hotfixes worked for the VMXNET3 server. I'll have to schedule downtime to give the E1000 server a reboot before i can test on that machine
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Actually, E1000 NIC does not have this issue, so the reason of re-IP not working must be different... I'd say, don't bother with downtime, might be easier to open a support case and have our support investigate the failover log for that VM.
vipthomps
Service Provider

Post by vipthomps »

I feel very foolish. Turns out there was a duplicate IP that was already on the DR network that conflicted. Found that as I was preparing the case. Thanks for the help Gostev!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Ah, good point, never thought of this possibility. Thanks for taking your time to update this topic with the resolution!