Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
McKITGuys
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: McK Admins

VBR and MariaDB, what works?

Post by McKITGuys »

Hi all,

A company I do some work for is moving their database to a MariaDB database in the next few months. I read a few articles here about Veeam backup as they use that for their current backup needs. The plan on using a MariaDB cluster to hot-replicate the database but that does not totally cover off their backup needs.Wondering what "works" within Veeam as far as backups and what is the "safest". They have not really scoped out their RPO/RTO needs but have more or less asked "what is possible". Could you answer for each of these options.

- VM level backup with pre/post scripts to either quietize the db or perhaps even shut down (they are NOT 24/7 so overnight shutdown is a possibility)

- Veeam replication: safe to do? VBR does not (yet) have application-aware processing for this db if I understand

- Veeam CDP backups: safe to do with a SQL-like database?

Thanks.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: VBR and MariaDB, what works?

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
with innodb, I would say that there is not too much to worry about.

With the option of a temporary shutdown, it's easy and I would go for that few minutes outage. VM replication is the same as VM backup. CDP is like asynchronous storage replication (every ACID database should work with that, otherwise it should not call itself an ACID compliant database).

For active-passive clusters, backing up the primary node would be my way to go. There is no cluster-awareness for MariaDB in Veeam

Best regards,
Hannes
PS: ask you asked for VM-based backup, I moved your question from the agents forum to the general Backup & Replication forum