Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
mark49808
Enthusiast
Liked: 13 times

"Proper" way to to tier specific jobs to S3/Glacier with V12

Post by mark49808 »

Having used v11 for a number of years, the only real way (aside from NAS backups which behaved differently) to push a *specific* backup to s3 was to extend your entire SOBR with an s3 bucket and send everything on the SOBR to it. This was limiting and led to numerous workarounds (ie multiple SOBRS, one that went to S3, one that did not, etc).

In comes V12! Now I can create a copy job to send the data I back up first to local disk to s3, and I can target specific jobs. Great!

But it seems the Archive Tier is still tied to the SOBR concept? Its not per job? So If I want to go Local Disk -> S3 -> Glacier *only for specific jobs*, I need to make a copy job target a SOBR that is configured to go to S3 as Performance Tier, with Glacier as Archive Tier? Seems a bit counter-intuitive so im wondering if i'm missing something. If there is any way within a job to say go from Local disk SOBR -> S3 -> Glacier without having that S3-> Glacier flow tied to a SOBR? As i dont necessarily want the entire SOBR to go to Glacier. Its workable but also seems like a square peg in a round hole.

Or am I over (or under) thinking this?
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2223 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: "Proper" way to to tier specific jobs to S3/Glacier with V12

Post by Mildur »

Hi Mark

Correct. Archive Tier still requires a SOBR.
You have two options for sending backups to the archive tier:

SOBR with Azure/AWS based object storage as the performance tier extends:
--> Data flow: performance tier --> archive tier

SOBR with disk (or network) based repositories as the performance tier extends + Azure/AWS object storage as the capacity tier:
--> Data flow: performance tier --> capacity tier --> archive tier

If not all backup jobs needs to be offloaded to the archive tier, you still need an additional SOBR without archive tier configured. Or just do a direct copy from a simple repository to an object storage repository outside of a SOBR configuration.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
mark49808
Enthusiast
Liked: 13 times

Re: "Proper" way to to tier specific jobs to S3/Glacier with V12

Post by mark49808 »

Thanks for confirming my suspicions!