Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
jamessa
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Jamie Andrews

Failed Storage Question (Power Outage)

Post by jamessa »

I am running Synthetic backups with the transform option turned on. I had a storage failure in the middle of the transformation. Is the best thing to do to force a full backup?

Thanks!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6646 times

Re: Failed Storage Question

Post by Gostev »

In most cases, you don't have to, but this really depends on type of failure. If your storage devices just died from things like power outage or hammer - then you do not need to worry about it, as our backup storage is transactional. If, however, your storage was spotted doing some funny thing, such as writing random data into files instead of actually supplied data due to fried controller logic, then most certainly your backup files are no longer good, and you need to re-create them from scratch using the active full backup. In other words, our transactional storage is good as long as storage does not start "lying" to us that it had written the data, and it was the actual data our engine had provided and not something else.

Make sure you are running the latest version (5.0.2) though, as previous version had an issue where in certain cases failed transform prevented further transformations (during the next synthetic full).

Thanks.
jamessa
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Jamie Andrews

Post by jamessa »

Gostev,

Thanks for your response. Our QNAP became unresponsive and we had to hard reset it to get it to come back online. I just forced a full backup on that job which is running now. Will retention roll the other vbk out down the road??
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6646 times

Post by Gostev »

Yes, sure thing.
mschlott
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Mike Schlottman

What are the implications of a power outage during backups

Post by mschlott »

[merged]

Last night we had a power outage in our office. Power outages in the office are unpredictable and could happen at any time. We have a UPS on servers in our office, but the run time is about 15 minutes. All of our esential servers are in a remote data center with better facilities, so the likelyhood of a power outage there is negligable.

Our Veeam server is at the datacenter and I have a Linux Target in the office. We do nightly incremental backups across the WAN and weekly fulls or synthetic fulls with rollups. My question is what are the risks of having the power go out on the Target in the middle of a backup? I have re-tried some of these backups and they appear to be running as normal. When I run my synthetic full is there going to be a problem? If this were to occur durring a synthetic full, would all of my backup files be worthless, or is there some way to recover from this?

Here is an example of the error that I got in the backups during the power outage.

Example 1
Initializing target session
TextFromTar failed
Client error: An established connection was aborted by the software in your host machine

Example 2
Backing up object "[NS120_Pool1_LUN39] AMSLAMPPROD.SPE.ORG/AMSLAMPPROD.SPE.ORG.vmx"
BackupTextTrad failed
Client error: An established connection was aborted by the software in your host machine
Server error: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host