Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
bbuchanan
Influencer
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Brian Buchanan

Cross DB Configuration Restore?

Post by bbuchanan »

Hello,

If I stand up a new V12 server and try to restore a configuration backup from V11, I get stuck because it requires a SQL server and V12 only installed PostgreSQL.

I'm only testing for now, but is cross-db platform configuration restore on the roadmap?

Thanks!
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Cross DB Configuration Restore?

Post by Dima P. »

Hello,

It is possible and supported but you need to upgrade your Veeam B&R first to v12. PostgreSQL is a v12 feature, so you need to upgrade exiting database to v12 version then configuration backup/restore becomes possible for both db engines.
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Post by PetrM »

Adding my 2 cents: once the existing database is upgraded as Dima P. said, you can follow the instructions from this page to migrate a configuration database.

Thanks!
bbuchanan
Influencer
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Brian Buchanan

Post by bbuchanan »

Thank-you for the help. On my V12 server I installed SQL Express 2019 and successfully restored the configuration to it, but before the Veeam service would start I had to install SSMS and map NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM to the restored database. That's the main goal of the DR plan, starting with downloading the latest Veeam (I'm trying to avoid specifying a specific version) and recovering from just immutable storage. It sounds like it'll be a non-issue once our production is running V12 and the configuration will restore directly to PostgreSQL. This is just for the meantime.