Management reporting and documentation
pirx
Veteran
Liked: 75 times

Protected VMs: failed vs unprotected

Post by pirx »

No support ID, more a general question. What is the difference in the protected VM report between "Status: Failed" and "Unprotected VMs (VMware)"? Reason I ask is that the report contains 36 VMs as "unprotected" with last backup date 18.02 (long backup, was still running when report was generated) and 40 VMs with "failed" and last backup date 16.02 (backup job failed due to ESXi error over weekend). I was a bit surprised that the VMs in the job with errors were not counted as "unprotected". The overview is not really correct. It show only the 36 as outside RPO, but obviously the 40 that failed are also outside the 24h RPO. In my opinion the correct numbers are 76 (36 + 40) for unprotected and outside RPO.

Code: Select all

VM Name    Protection Type    Job Name     Available Restore Point     Oldest Restore Points     Latest Restore Point 
SDES0153     Backup    BJ-DE-ViCluster21-2-WOP      21     12/16/2022      2/16/2023 9:28:30 PM
SDET2012     Backup    BJ-DE-ViCluster21-2-WOP      21     12/16/2022      2/16/2023 9:19:14 PM
RomanK
Veeam Software
Liked: 168 times

Re: Protected VMs: failed vs unprotected

Post by RomanK »

Hello pirx,

The VM Last Backup State chart shows the latest job session status for discovered/protected VMs.

Total VMs: 1584 = 1548 protected + 36 unprotected.
VM last Backup (job sessions) 1588 = 1508+40+40. Warning backup state is a finished job with restore point created (protected) = 1508 + 40 = 1548

It turns out that there were 36 unprotected VM and there were 40 backup sessions. That is probably your question.
One VM was added to multiple jobs or there was a job retry, vMotion, etc. I think the Support could provide a more precise answer to that.

Thanks.
pirx
Veteran

Post by pirx »

There were 36 VMs that were not backed up because the jobs took a long time (no job error), those VMs have the status "unprotected". And there were 40 VMs that were not backed up because the job failed, they have status "failed". So there are 76 VM overall with no backup in the last 24h (RPO) but the report only shows 36 as unprotected and out of RPO.

So why are the 40 VMs with failed backups not included in those numbers? This is not correct, or what am I missing?
RomanK
Veeam Software

Post by RomanK »

Hello pirx,

I've checked with QA the logic behind pie charts. Another possible option they suggested is that VMs with failed jobs still have a restore point within RPO. This might be caused by these long jobs, for example. In any way, it's all speculation.

Please open a support case and provide the case ID in this thread so we could collect all the additional details and investigate it accordingly.

Thanks.
pirx
Veteran

Post by pirx »

# 07001050

I don't think that any of the 76 VMs has a restore point within RPO as the report shows for both types of VMs (failed and unprotected) a last backup date that is either 16.02 or 18.02.
RomanK
Veeam Software

Post by RomanK »

Hello pirx,

Thanks for the case number.
Please continue to work with our support engineers. I'm confident they will solve this puzzle.
pirx
Veteran

Post by pirx »

Things got worse as old 3.1.x .NET version were removed and replace by .Net 6.x yesterday during Windows patch day. .Net 3.x is EOL since December and an security issue. So now Veeam One Reporter is broken, as it requires 3.1.x. There is no way that security will allows us to reinstall 3.1.x. And now Veeam has nice mgmt and security attention which is something that I really wanted to avoid.
RomanK
Veeam Software

Post by RomanK »

Hello pirx,

Thanks for the update. The patch is already in development. Hopefully, we will ship it soon. Support would also share it in the case as quickly as possible.