Real-time performance monitoring and troubleshooting
sabicao
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Fernando Gomes

Power User shows as read-only in One console

Post by sabicao »

I'm used to being a veeam global administrator, but this time around I am to manage a veeam one instance with lesser privileges.
I'm now a Veeam ONE Power User, and it shows as power user when I logon to the web client.

But if I open the Veeam ONE Console and logon with the same user, I'm greeted with the message "Veeam ONE Client was auched by a user with read-only permissions.[...]"

I cannot suppress any alarms nor can I drill down processes or services tabs, etc. Functionality seems as limited as if I was a read-only user, I'm not seeing any added permissions now that I am in the Power Users group.

Is this by design?

Cheers,
Fernando
jorgedlcruz
Veeam Software
Liked: 619 times
Full Name: Jorge de la Cruz

Re: Power User shows as read-only in One console

Post by jorgedlcruz » 1 person likes this post

Hello Fernando,
I think that is expected, as Power Users can, for example, run reports, edit dashboards, etc. But read-only on the rest of the items, including alarms, etc.

There is some information here:
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/one/r ... ml?ver=120

But I agree that we can have a more detailed table with all the actions per role. I will ask internally, and hopefully, we can make this much clear.

Thank you
Jorge de la Cruz
Senior Product Manager | Veeam ONE @ Veeam Software

@jorgedlcruz
https://www.jorgedelacruz.es / https://jorgedelacruz.uk
vExpert 2014-2024 / InfluxAce / Grafana Champion
RomanK
Veeam Software
Liked: 169 times

Post by RomanK »

Hello Fernando,

Are you just asking or do you really need to have a power user for the console?
If yes, what would be the use cases?

Thanks
sabicao
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Fernando Gomes

Post by sabicao »

No, I'm not just asking. I do feel the need.

I've been a global veeam admin since 2013, but now I'm in this situation in a new job where our backups are outsourced to a MSP but they gave us access to Veeam ONE. I am a domain admin and a vONE power user and I find it too limited even as a Power User.
As a domain admin I am entitled to do whatever I need to to my virtual infrastructure, but I cannot, for contract reasons, do any modifications to anything that is related to backups.

I would like to be able to create, modify, delete, acknowledge or resolve alarms, fine tune notifications, basically everything except changing server settings or have any impact on the plausible deniability our MSP requires.

I'm sure someone out there feels the same need: as a infrastructure manager one needs all the monitoring power of vONE in a role in which he has absolutely nothing to do with backups.
RomanK
Veeam Software
Liked: 169 times

Post by RomanK »

Hello Fernando,

Agree. It makes sense to have a power user for the console or to get access to the alarm management at least.
At the moment I cannot promise anything but we will discuss this topic with the teams internally for sure.

Thanks a lot for the feedback.