Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
rawtaz
Expert
Liked: 15 times

Remap vs point to backup repository

Post by rawtaz »

Hi,

I just did a test where I created a backup job for a VM, storing it on backup repo #1. I then copied the backup folder from this repo to backup repo #2. Then I went to edit the job, but instead of using the "Map job" feature, I just changed to using backup repo #2 in the Storage part.

I then asked Veeam to run the backup, and from what I can tell it 1) did not say "there's already a backup with this name on this storage", and 2) only copied over the changes to the VM, instead of doing a full backup (which one could expect it would do if it didn't recognize the old backup I had copied to this storage).

So from what I can tell, Veeam continued backing up to this copied-over backup folder for the job, without me having to use "Map job". For that reason I want to ask when one needs to use "Map job"? Should I still have been doing that here, or is it only needed if the backup folder (for this job) was renamed or something?

Thanks!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6700 times

Re: Remap vs point to backup repository

Post by Gostev »

Hi, that is correct - you will need it if you change the name of the folder where your backup files reside. However, the main use case for this functionality is mapping into the backup file produced by another job (that you may have accidentally deleted, for example). Thanks!
rawtaz
Expert
Liked: 15 times

Post by rawtaz »

This was good clarification, thanks!

Ok, that's cool.. So one can add one job (new or "old") to another job's files then. Is the main use case for doing so to still have a seperate job for some VM, in order to have different settings for it regarding deduplication and all the other things in the job setup? I imagine that otherwise one could just add that VM to the other backup job, instead of having a seperate job for the VM.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6700 times

Post by Gostev »

The main use case is when you lost the original job or just have to re-create it, but do not want to run the new full backup again.