Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
MGT1981
Enthusiast
Liked: 6 times

Veeam CDP question

Post by MGT1981 »

Hello,

I have a client that has 2 servers with local storage that is running veeam CDP between them. I need to do some host maintenance and am trying to figure out if i can use CDP to prevent downtime vs sVMotioning the VM's between the hosts then back.

Effectively i have all of my VM's on host A (minus a DC) and im using CDP to replicate them to Host B. Can i just patch host B, let CDP catch up afterwards, then use CDP to fail over to host B, patch host A then fail back? In this scenario what will happen to the changes that happened when we were on host B?
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2296 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Veeam CDP question

Post by Mildur »

Hi MGT1981

Yes, you can do that. Please make sure that your Backup server is always available and online for managing the entire process.
If your backup server is in a VM, it must run on Host B while you do the failover and fallback of the CDP replicas.

Please also note, that CDP Failover won't shutdown your source VMs. You must do that on your own.
After you have finished maintenance on Host A, you will perform a failback operation.
CDP will replicate all changes from the replica VM to the production VM.

The exact process is documented here:
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... d-vm-works

I suggest you test the entire process with a test VM to get familiar with the process and to be prepared for issues which could happen to the production VMs.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software