Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
skeedr
Lurker
Liked: never

Hyper-V Name and VM Hostname Different

Post by skeedr »

I can only assume my search skills are no longer relevant as I can't find anything about this, but we have a debian VM running on a Hyper-V host where the DNS name is different to the name Hyper-V has for it. Due to this, Veeam can't connect. I'd prefer not to create a DNS record for the Hyper-V name, but I can't find anywhere to tell Veeam that the VM hostname isn't the Hyper-V name.

Help?
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 683 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Re: Hyper-V Name and VM Hostname Different

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Hi Skeedr,

I don't get the case.
Hyper-V host name, VM name and VM Guest OS host name can be different. Where Veeam cannot connect exactly?

/Thanks
karsten123
Service Provider
Liked: 82 times
Full Name: Karsten Meja

Post by karsten123 »

maybe you missed to install the hyper-v integration services? Without, veeam is unable to discover the IP of the VM.
skeedr
Lurker
Liked: never

Post by skeedr »

Should have added, this is a migrated Veeam Backup and Replication install from v11 on one VM to v12 on a new VM (and a new SQL server). It was working fine on the old VM.
I've checked every which way I can and I can't seem to get the integration tools to update. Trying to get Veeam to do it fails because it can't communicate due to the hostname issue, the VM itself thinks it's up-to-date and, again, my search skills are failing helping me find which package it is that may need updating. Hyper-V daemons are up-to-date according to apt-get but I can't find the package name for the Veeam integration tools to check.

ETA: Forgot due to sleep, this may actually be a network issue as I can't SSH to the VM from our DC, but I can from the local network. I can't figure out what's blocking it yet, but it's looking like a routes or firewall issue.