Monitoring and reporting for Veeam Data Platform
bjdboyer
Service Provider
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Bill Boyer

Move VBR to new server

Post by bjdboyer »

After moving my VBR instance to a new server wiht a new hostname is there a way to change ONE! with the new name, but the same instance? So I don't lose all the historical data. There's probably a procedure but I guess I'm using the wrong keywords to query. I'm preparing to upgrade to V12 and figure to upgrade my servers to Win2022 at the same time. I would really like to not lose all the historical data when I move the instance.

TIA,
Bill Boyer
jorgedlcruz
Veeam Software
Liked: 619 times
Full Name: Jorge de la Cruz

Re: Move VBR to new server

Post by jorgedlcruz »

Hello Bill,
Could you please create a support ticket for this and share the number with us, please?

Thank you!
Jorge de la Cruz
Senior Product Manager | Veeam ONE @ Veeam Software

@jorgedlcruz
https://www.jorgedelacruz.es / https://jorgedelacruz.uk
vExpert 2014-2024 / InfluxAce / Grafana Champion
bjdboyer
Service Provider

Post by bjdboyer » 1 person likes this post

Case #07001306 was created.
RomanK
Veeam Software
Liked: 168 times

Post by RomanK »

Hello Bill,

Thanks for the case #. As far as I know, there is no solution to keep both: the new name and the historical data for VBR. There are some complications in the DB schema, but the support will check it anyway.

Could you please let us know how exactly you moved the VBR? Was it the configuration backup and restore on a new server?

Thanks
bjdboyer
Service Provider

Post by bjdboyer »

I built a new server Win2022 and installed Veeam 11a. Same version as the existing. I created a new DB on the new SQL Server. Then I took the config backup of the existing/old Veeam server and restored it specifying the migrate to a new host option in the dialog. The old VBR server was then shutdown. I did add the new VBR server to VeeamONE and I guess as long as I don't remove the old VBR I'll have the historical data. I did put it in maintenance mode. Enterprise manager let me Edit the server and change the hostname and credentials and then continued on.

I'll wait on the 'official' word from support.
RomanK
Veeam Software
Liked: 168 times

Post by RomanK »

Hello Bill,

Thanks for the information.

There are a lot of corner cases with VBR config restore from the monitoring perspective. For example, the VBR configuration backup was made at 1 pm, the new job was created at 2 pm and successfully monitored by Veeam ONE. Then if you would do config restore at 3 pm the new job hasn't been created yet but is already monitored and in the Veeam ONE database. Collisions and orphaned objects are expected.

When we find out a way to resolve all such issues with the configuration restore there would be an official solution. However, our support is able to do impossible things sometimes. If there is a workaround for your case they should let you know.

Thanks.