Management reporting and documentation
Aremac
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Sam Pierce

Inactive VM report

Post by Aremac »

What criteria does reporter use to identify a VM as inactive. I have the inactive VM report run daily and thought it was working well until today when it reports 41 inactive virtual machines including my print server, veeam backup server, DC, etc? I reran the report with the same results.. Last collection seems to have run without issue. ideas?

Thanks.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Inactive VM report

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Sam,

The list of 'inacive VMs' is populated based on last access to VM's files. Do you have these VMs up and running?

Thanks!
Aremac
Enthusiast

Post by Aremac »

Yes the Vm's are all live and powered on.. The Veeam Backup server and print server are always active yet they were included in the list showing last access at a week ago. Is this indicating that the report server hasn't accessed them in over a week (by ping or whatever method is used) or some other access metric.

Thanks,
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hmm...could you please check last modified date for these VMs via vSphere Client -> Datastore Browser?
Aremac
Enthusiast

Post by Aremac »

Using the Veeam backup server, which again today was listed as inactive, has a modified date from the datastore browser of 3/8 (this is for the vmx, vmxf and log files) Veeam report shows last active date for this server as 2/29 The file with a modified date closest to that in the datastore is a [servername]-aux.xml file with modified date of 2/28.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Sam, could you please open a support ticket with our technical team and let me know your case number, so I could also have a look at your collection job debug logs.