Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
redgasgiant
Novice
Liked: never

What constitutes a "mid-sized" environment for the advanced deployment scenario?

Post by redgasgiant »

My overall environment consists of:

2 node hyper-v failover cluster hosted on 2 new HPE blade servers that is hosting 50-60 windows server VMs.
and
a remote, offsite, hyper-v host (not a cluster), with a HP MSA 2060 SAN I will use as the backup repository.
I have 10gb fiber links between the production hyper-v cluster and the remote backup site.

Right now my "simple deployment" Veeam setup is:
1 Veeam backup virtual server (server 2022) on the remote backup site hyper-v host, connected to the MSA 2060 pool with 7200 rpm drives. I'm presenting the storage to the Veeam server as a local D: drive via iSCSI.
Veeam agent on the Production hyper-v cluster.

Should I explore doing the "Advanced Deployment"? and introduce a proxy vm on the production cluster? or what is the best deployment for my general setup?
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: What constitutes a "mid-sized" environment for the advanced deployment scenario?

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
Should I explore doing the "Advanced Deployment"? and introduce a proxy vm on the production cluster?
what do you mean with that? For Hyper-V, there is on-host and off-host proxy (requires separate Hyper-V host and Hardware VSS providers). On-host proxy is the recommendation and as far as I understand, you already have that.

Which problem do you try to solve?

Best regards,
Hannes
redgasgiant
Novice

Re: What constitutes a "mid-sized" environment for the advanced deployment scenario?

Post by redgasgiant »

Hi Hannes, I don't have a problem at the moment, just looking to get set up in the best way for my environment.

I went back and read more and realized the off-host proxy needs to NOT be a plain VM in the Hyper-V cluster (VMcluster01) that is hosting all my ~50ish VMs. But It needs to be another hyper-v host.

So would making a physical, non-clustered hyper-v host that is fiberchannel attached to the same storage that my ~50ish VMs be the proper way to make a off-host proxy?
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
the best option in 99% of all cases is what I said above: on-host proxy
So would making a physical, non-clustered hyper-v host that is fiberchannel attached to the same storage that my ~50ish VMs be the proper way to make a off-host proxy?
yes, but I would never do that. Too complex, too error prone. It's Hyper-V. It's not VMware :-)

Best regards,
Hannes
redgasgiant
Novice

Post by redgasgiant »

Thank you Hannes. Since I'm curious, what 1% of cases really need a off-host proxy?
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK »

if somebody sold "backup from storage snapshots" because he only knows how it works with VMware.

and even then, over time, usually they switch to on-host backup...