Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
zadrian
Expert
Liked: 4 times

Upgrade required for CDP I/O filter after configuration restore

Post by zadrian »

I just finished upgrading 11.x to 12.x then all the jobs and config is gone....restoring from older config backup (did one last fri)

But then now also need to upgrade IP filter for ESXi..... anyway to do it one ESXi at a time instead one cluster at a time ??

#split from VBR 12.x to switch from SQL to Postgres
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: VBR 12.x to switch from SQL to Postgres

Post by Mildur »

Upgrades don‘t delete job configurations. Only new installations with a new database will start with an empty configuration. Please open a support case if you want to check what happened exactly.
But then now also need to upgrade IP filter for ESXi..... anyway to do it one ESXi at a time instead one cluster at a time ??
I assume you are asking about I/O filter. You can put host one by one in maintenance mode. Only the I/O filters on hosts in maintenance mode will be updated.
But you must update the entire cluster to have a working CDP environment for v12.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
zadrian
Expert
Liked: 4 times

Post by zadrian »

But the weird thing is that in one of the "test" clusters, I only have 2 ESXi and 1 is empty (I vMotion all the VMs out). Then I ran the VeemCDP filter management, it managed to put one of the ESXi into maintenance mode...somehow it states remove I/O Filter and not update ? Must it be both host in the cluster at same time or can I do one at a time ?
Mildur
Product Manager

Post by Mildur »

Must it be both host in the cluster at same time or can I do one at a time ?
You can place the entire cluster in maintenance mode to update the I/O filter simultaneously on every host.
Or you can put one host at a time in maintenance mode. Veeam will only update the plugin on the host which has maintenance mode active. So you have to repeat the I/O filter upgrade process after putting another host in maintenance mode

If you have Distributed Resource Schedule (DRS) enabled and shared storage, you don't have to put hosts in maintenance manually.
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... quirements

somehow it states remove I/O Filter and not update
Was it already updated on that host?
You can connect with Putty to each ESXI host and use the following command to check the installed version:

Code: Select all

esxcli software vib list | grep -i vee
If it's on V11 and you cannot see the upgrade button, please open a case with our customer support.

Best,
Fabian
Mildur
Product Manager

Re: Upgrade required for CDP I/O filter after configuration restore

Post by Mildur »

Hello Adrian

I split your questions about CDP from the other topic.

Best,
Fabian