Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
adam900331
Veteran
Liked: 22 times

Create full backup for tape archiving

Post by adam900331 »

Hy!

I have a normal VM backup job, the backup files stored in disk. The retentin settings is 7 (snythetic full backup is enalbled in saturday). I have a tape library. My plan is I want to archive the backups to tape after every normal VM backup job. So I would like to create full backup fo each day to tape, and after the archiving I take out this "daily full backup" to the offsite store.

My plan I create a media pool the specified retention for example 1 month, Create new media set for every backup session. I select this media pool in the backup to tape job media pool windows and also select the virtual full schedule for each day (monday-sunday selected). In the Options windows I will select the Export current media set upon job completion and select all day. I won't select the incremental backup. The backup to tape job schedule after the normal VM backup.

What do you think? Is this a good solution for my goal?

Thanks.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Create full backup for tape archiving

Post by Mildur »

Hi Adam

Virtual full schedule only works for Forever Forward Incremental backup chains (no regular full backup).
And you can't write daily full backup with forward Incremental Chains and weekly synthetic full backups.

You have two choices:
- Disable regular full backups on the source backup job, and you will be able to use the Virtual full option
- Enable daily synthetic full backup. On reFS/XFS, synthetic fulls are space less.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
adam900331
Veteran

Post by adam900331 »

Thanks. I wouldn't like to disable synthetic full backup and wouldn't enable daily synthetic full backup.

The other solution, that I archiving the incremental files separate tapes and export each days to offsite store. I think I have to create a media pool for full backup, and another media pool for incremental backups. But this solution will cause slow restore process?
Mildur
Product Manager

Post by Mildur »

Hi Adam

Yes, two media pools are required. Or you use a GFS media Pool if you also want to write monthly tapes.
Restore from an incremental backup will require reloading a tape. That may slow down the restore process if you only have a standalone drive and no library.
For daily restore tasks, I won't rely on the tapes. Make sure to have enough backups on disk so you don't need to get the tapes and put them in to the drive every few days.

Best,
Fabian
adam900331
Veteran

Post by adam900331 »

Thanks for Your answer.

I won't use the daily restore from tape if required, I will use from the disk. I only want to archive to tape in case of the backup repository is getting fault once a day.
sdelacruz
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Sam De La Cruz

Post by sdelacruz »

I am looking to implement something similar.
What I want is to move all my disk veeam files to tape daily. I am not sure how to create the media pools so I can daily move tapes out and job could run without failing.
Mildur
Product Manager

Post by Mildur »

Hi Adam

I just learned today, virtual full are possible with Forward Incremental Backup Chains when you use a GFS Media Pool.
With a standard Media Pool, my previous statement is still valid.

Best,
Fabian