Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
adam900331
Veteran
Liked: 22 times

GFS Backup to tape job schedule question

Post by adam900331 »

Hy!

I have a question about the GFS backup to tape job schedule. All source backup job has synthetic full backup on saturday. What happend when I set the GFS schedule for the following:

Weekly backup: Monday
Monthly backup: day of the week: first monday

Will the Veeam create active full on monday? Or only copy the synthetic full which is created on Saturday.

I know when sourve job has enabled the sytnhetic full backup, the active full on the taoe job is automatically disabled.

Thanks.
moustafa_hindawi
Veeam Legend
Liked: never
Full Name: Moustafa Hindawi

Re: GFS Backup to tape job schedule question

Post by moustafa_hindawi »

To create a GFS archive, Veeam Backup & Replication performs the following operations:

The GFS job starts according to the GFS job schedule and checks which media set is scheduled for today.
For GFS jobs with the Daily media set disabled:
  • If the source job creates a full backup, the GFS job copies it.
  • If the source job creates an incremental backup, the GFS job synthesizes a virtual full backup.
  • If the source job created several restore points, the tape job will copy only the first one.
For GFS jobs with the Daily media set enabled:
If today some elder media sets are also scheduled, for example, the weekly media set, the GFS job archives the first restore point to the Weekly media set:
  • If the source job creates a full backup, the GFS job copies it.
  • If the source job creates an incremental backup, the GFS job synthesizes a virtual full backup.
  • If there is more than 1 restore point on disk available, the GFS job copies the rest of them to the Daily media set.
  • If only the Daily media set is due today, the GFS job copies all available restore points to the Daily media set.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur »

Hi Adam

Moustafa comment is a copy from this user guide about the behavior for GFS Backup To Tape Jobs:
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=120

May I know, what type of backup job do you use? "Backup to Tape" or "GFS Backup to Tape?

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
adam900331
Veteran
Liked: 22 times

Post by adam900331 »

GFS Backup to Tape
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur »

Ok, then the backup server will create a virtual full on Monday for the weekly tapes.

I also updated your other post. I wasn't aware that we have this difference between standard and gfs backup to tape jobs and virtual full's.

I will see that we can add this virtual full capability for GFS backup to tape on this user guide:
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=120

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software