Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
kenwardc
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Chris Kenward

Unable to restore files

Post by kenwardc »

Hi Folks

I'm at wits end - just don't know why this not working. I'm trying to restore guest files from Linux OS from one of the restore points back to a folder on the server they came from in backup.

All working fine - can connect and browse the folders on the server using root access. The only error I'm getting is after I've selected the files to copy and started the restore. After a fairly long wait, I get the error on line 2 below and the restore fails. I'm hoping someone can help fairly urgently as I need to restore these files for a customer of ours.

Many thanks
Chris
kenwardc
Novice

Re: Unable to restore files

Post by kenwardc »

Hi Folks

An update... I have discovered that I can connect from outside the data centre rack (i.e. from my computer at home) on port 2502 to the same CentOS server, so this must eliminate the server as being the problem? But... and here's the rub, I cannot telnet to this server from another server within the rack (the servers are all VMs on an ESXi host) on the same port. I've added rules to our firewall allowing traffic from ANY to ANY on ports 2500 to 5000 and it's still the same - no connectivity.

So... if it's not our firewall that's causing the issue and it's not the destination server, then what's stopping the Veeam restore from happening?

Any help sincerely appreciated.

Regards
Chris
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Chris,

I'm a little confused with your post. Are you using Veeam B&R or Veeam FastSCP? I assume it is B&R since there is not restore capability in FastSCP, as it is just a file management tool. I will move this topic to a corresponding forum later.

I've removed log snippets from your post. Please avoid posting them as explained when you click New Topic. If you have a technical issue with the product, please contact our support team directly.

Thanks!
kenwardc
Novice

Post by kenwardc »

Hi Vitality S

I have posted here because when I raise a support request it always takes so long to be responded to. What did I post that wasn't appropriate?

Chris
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

This is not a support forum, and posting debug log snippets is not allowed per the forum rules provided when you click New Topic, that is why they were removed from your original post.

Also, please be aware that there is the Talk to a Manager functionality present on our customer support portal, so if you feel the support response times do not meet SLAs listed in our support policy, don't hesitate to use this capability to escalate this issue directly into our support management team to get it moving.

As to your issue, I can recommend using universal FLR approach via the Instant VM Recovery wizard in case FLR wizard does not work for you for any reason. Otherwise, you may open a support case and have our support engineers investigate your issue with the FLR wizard.

Thanks!
kenwardc
Novice

Post by kenwardc »

Hi Vitality

Can you tell me how to use the "universal FLR approach" and how it differs from the normal recover files wizard?

Cheers
Chris
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Yes, sure! This is covered in the sticky F.A.Q. under Multi-OS FLR:
VMware : [FAQ] FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS

Hope this helps!