Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
mriesenbeck
Enthusiast
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: Michael Riesenbeck

SureBackup script to restart VMWare Tools

Post by mriesenbeck »

Hello,

What we see going wrong with SB jobs most, is that the VM boots from backup, but for some reason VMWare tools do not load. Sometimes running the same job again fixes it, but sometimes it doesn't.

Is there a way to (re)start the vmware tools services without creating a script on all backupped VM's beforehand? I don't want to maintain a script on hundreds of machines, so I'd like to do this from outside, hence from the SB job. Since Veeam 12 is able to shutdown the windows firewall, I would expect that there are more ways to interact with a SB booted VM now?

I'd basically would like to run a script that checks if the vmware tools service is started and if not keep starting it until it's up and running. the 3 times build in recovery in Windows Services is apparently not enough in some cases.

Thanks for any information you can give me!
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: SureBackup script to restart VMWare Tools

Post by Mildur »

Hi Michael

Unfortunately our Sure Backup doesn't provide such capabilities to run scripts before all the basic checks are happening.

If VmWare Tools are not loaded, then there must be a reason.
I would start analyzing why this happens. Maybe leave the virtual lab running and check the VmWare Tool logs on the affected VMs.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
mriesenbeck
Enthusiast

Post by mriesenbeck »

It's a random thing, unfortunately. If I see that the tools aren't running and I reboot the SB started VM, the next time it could have VMWare tools running normally.

If it were only a single machine that would be no biggy, but it's quite often with various machines, typically not the same machine, so it is rather random. Therefore I'd like to have a mechanism that just keeps polling the vmware tool status and if the service is not started, start it, until it's running. But I don't want to need to maintain scripts in the source vm's, since these are very dynamic. So doing this stuff from outside would be great.
mriesenbeck
Enthusiast

Post by mriesenbeck »

In addition, the two tests that you can select, so vm heartbeat and ping on any interface. Are those OR rules, so if any of the two is true it's okay? Or do both need to be true in order to consider the vm to be booted successfully? That would make it an AND. But if you deselect both options, what is then used as mechanism to determine if the vm booted?