Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
andyboy16
Enthusiast
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: A

Backing up directly to capacity tier B&R v12

Post by andyboy16 »

I see backing up to Capacity Tier is available now in v12. We have a direct connect to AWS and would like to backup directly to S3 bucket. Has anyone utilized this method with B&R v12? If so, any cons to this?
chris.childerhose
Veeam Vanguard
Liked: 132 times
Full Name: Chris Childerhose

Re: Backing up directly to capacity tier B&R v12

Post by chris.childerhose » 1 person likes this post

I have not used AWS but have sent directly to Wasabi without issues, even restores. The only consideration for AWS would be ingress/egress fees.
-----------------------
Chris Childerhose
Veeam Vanguard / Veeam Legend / Veeam Ceritified Architect / VMCE
vExpert / VCAP-DCA / VCP8 / MCITP
Personal blog: https://just-virtualization.tech
Twitter: @cchilderhose
RobTurk
Veeam Software
Liked: 65 times
Full Name: Rob Turk

Post by RobTurk » 1 person likes this post

Also consider required restore performance. Do a sanity check on available bandwidth and desired recovery time objective (RTO) if you expect large restores.
A bandwidth calculator may help. Pulling 10TB over a 1Gbit line still takes a day. Therefor a local repository still makes perfect sense for operational backups.
andyboy16
Enthusiast

Post by andyboy16 » 1 person likes this post

chris.childerhose wrote: Mar 08, 2023 7:27 pm I have not used AWS but have sent directly to Wasabi without issues, even restores. The only consideration for AWS would be ingress/egress fees.
Yep, we've considered that. Luckily with the 10GB direct connect fees are reduced.
andyboy16
Enthusiast

Post by andyboy16 » 1 person likes this post

RobTurk wrote: Mar 08, 2023 7:41 pm Also consider required restore performance. Do a sanity check on available bandwidth and desired recovery time objective (RTO) if you expect large restores.
A bandwidth calculator may help. Pulling 10TB over a 1Gbit line still takes a day. Therefor a local repository still makes perfect sense for operational backups.
Yep. Definitely considered that but as you know storage is cheap in S3 vs buying new hardware on-prem....which is out of ITs control obviously. Hopefully the 10GB direct connect saves us some time if something happens.
RobTurk
Veeam Software
Liked: 65 times
Full Name: Rob Turk

Post by RobTurk » 1 person likes this post

When taking everything into account, S3 may or may not be cheaper than on-prem.
A start would be (($/GB/month + gets/puts/scans/GB) * GBs * retention).
Although gets and puts come in per-1000s, it takes many millions of them to transfer large data sets. And retention is recurring cost that can add up significantly.
$1000 / month may sound great, but if your business calls for 10 years retention, that's $120K which buys a very nice on-prem hardenend repository, even considering a hardware cycle after 5 years.

Some select auto-tiering, expecting cost benefit from migrating older data to lower cost tiers. And forget to read what the tiering managent and motion costs per object are.
I've done some calculations and when you take all the fine-print costs into account you might be in for a surprise.

All I'm saying: Just make sure you run all the numbers before committing to a cloud-only repository.

There's also positives to be considered. A full set of backups in S3 may enable fast disaster recovery to EC2, perhaps saving you an entire data center.
andyboy16
Enthusiast

Post by andyboy16 »

RobTurk wrote: Mar 09, 2023 8:40 am When taking everything into account, S3 may or may not be cheaper than on-prem.
A start would be (($/GB/month + gets/puts/scans/GB) * GBs * retention).
Although gets and puts come in per-1000s, it takes many millions of them to transfer large data sets. And retention is recurring cost that can add up significantly.
$1000 / month may sound great, but if your business calls for 10 years retention, that's $120K which buys a very nice on-prem hardenend repository, even considering a hardware cycle after 5 years.

Some select auto-tiering, expecting cost benefit from migrating older data to lower cost tiers. And forget to read what the tiering managent and motion costs per object are.
I've done some calculations and when you take all the fine-print costs into account you might be in for a surprise.

All I'm saying: Just make sure you run all the numbers before committing to a cloud-only repository.

There's also positives to be considered. A full set of backups in S3 may enable fast disaster recovery to EC2, perhaps saving you an entire data center.
Ya, I agree, our monthly bill alone just for S3 is well over 3k a month. Can't really justify spending anything for on-prem when we are slowly closing down our datacenters and moving everything in the cloud.
"The cloud is cheaper right?" /s