Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
david.brunner
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: David Brunner

Replication to iSCSI Store, hosted by immutable storage server?

Post by david.brunner »

Dear forum,

we are using Veeam B&R v11 (going to 12 now) and want to further user the replication feature and dedicated immutable Storage

Quick question:
Can the linux server, which hosts the immutable repository (local hard disks on the server) also do an iSCSI role and deploy additional storage, which is connected via fibre channel, to an ESXi host?
this ESXi host with iSCSI volume shall then be the replication host.

More Details

Current setup over 2 Datacenter rooms:
a) 1 IBM Storage with up to 20TB (FC) (datacenter room1)
b) 3 ESXi v7 Servers in a licenced vsphere Environment (over both rooms)
c) 1 Veeam B&R v11 Server with 14TB local Storage (datacenter room2)
z) Hyper-V Standalone Server (datacenter room 2)

Vmware licence for 4 sockets. MS Licences DataCenter CORE for 64 cpus / 4 servers

Target setup:
a) ...stays the same
b) ...stays the same
c) 1 newer Veeam B&R v12 Server. Some local Storage (datacenter room 2)
d) the previous Veeam Server will be set up as Immutable Storage (Linux) with local discs (datacenter room2)
e) an older IBM Storage (FC) with up to 20TB which is connected via FC to d) (datacenter room 2)
f) maybe some NAS device for further storage (datacenter room 1)

So I would:
- install the new Veeam Server. adapt jobs and backup to local Storage
- reinstall old server as Immutable Server
- install iSCSI setup, connect the old storage and present it via iSCSI to one of the ESXi hosts in the DC room where the main storage *not* is
- create Veeam Replication jobs and transfer them to that iSCSI share

I know there are many possibilities, but I want to avoid having to change hardware on ESXi servers or buy additional licences (Vmware, Microsoft licences) for additional hosts

Is using iSCSI role on immutable storage and presenting it to an ESXi host and using this a Replication repository possible / a good idea?
of course I would take care it has good bandwith (10GbE)

thanks and best regards!
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2275 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Replication to iSCSI Store, hosted by immutable storage server?

Post by Mildur » 1 person likes this post

Hi David

It's never good to use a hardened repository for other workloads.
Technically, it will likely work. But it may open additional attack possibilities. Additional features to manage and monitor. Which may require you to open remote connections.
Veeam cannot guarantee the safety of this solution if you use it for other purposes.

In the end it's your decision, if it's worth to save money for a new ESXi host with local storage instead of having better protecting your backups.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
david.brunner
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: David Brunner

Re: Replication to iSCSI Store, hosted by immutable storage server?

Post by david.brunner »

Hi Fabian,

thanks for your answer. So I understand, it is not recommended in perspective of security (which will be better in any way than it is now) but it most likely will not be a technical problem.
I guess I will not open any remote connection to the immutable storage (not even SSH) and only do maintainance via console. So there is the iSCSI port / role which - in my opinion - is "set and forget"

an ESXi with local storage / disassembling the ESXi server is not a preferred option now.
except, someone can recommend a solution to add FC storage via USB to the Host.

Update:
Maybe even more preferrable would be to connect the FC Storage e) to the new veeam server and have the Windows Server present it over iSCSI. I need to investigate this