Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
storageguy
Expert
Liked: 13 times

Exclude Specific Oracle Database from Backup

Post by storageguy »

Hi,

We have an Oracle databases that runs on a Linux server and we backed it up as an image level. Is there a way we can exclude a specific database from backup?

Thanks
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: Exclude Specific Oracle Database from Backup

Post by PetrM »

Hello,

No, there is no such method but you can back up only the specific databases using RMAN plug-in in standalone mode or in managed mode. May I ask you to clarify why you want to exclude some databases? Maybe we can find another workaround.

Thanks!
storageguy
Expert
Liked: 13 times

Post by storageguy »

@PetrM, we have few databases on the server and one DB is no longer in use, so the reason why we would like to exclude it from backup.
We also used RMAN backup on top of the image level backup, so not a big deal, but it would be nice if we can exclude it also from the image level backup.
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Post by PetrM »

Hello,

Ok, the requested is noted. However, I'm still curious: if you don't use these databases why do you still keep them on the production server?

Thanks!
MaartenA
Service Provider
Liked: 24 times
Full Name: maarten

Post by MaartenA » 1 person likes this post

Same here. In our case the vendor has a production and test database on the same Oracle machine. When a new build from the application is created they first test it in the test database and then it goes to production. After this the test database is getting disabled to spare resources i think. Veeam will then give the warnings that it is unable to backup the test. So yes it would be nice to have the option to exclude