Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
massimiliano.rizzi
Service Provider
Liked: 26 times
Full Name: Massimiliano Rizzi

Several VMs are currently in a failover state. Quick question with regards to Reverse Replication

Post by massimiliano.rizzi »

Hello Community and good day,

please consider the following scenario:

==================================================
1. System Center Virtual Machine Manager (SCVMM) server has been added to Veeam Backup & Replication. The SCVMM server manages two S2D clusters
2. We currently have several Hyper-V VMs that are currently in a failover state on the secondary/DR S2D cluster after an outage of the production S2D cluster and everything is looking fine
==================================================

All production VMs that are currently being failed over are available and intact of the production S2D cluster (in a powered-off state), and their data was not corrupted as the issue is on the S2D cluster side.

As it might take several days before being able to perform the failback, we are considering the possibility of committing the failover and then perform a manual failback (Reverse Replication) as described here: https://www.veeam.com/kb2018.

As all production VMs that are currently being failed over are available and intact of the production S2D cluster, before we go ahead and perform the Reverse Replication I wanted to make sure that after returning to normal operation any backup jobs the affected VMs were part of previously will not start a new chain.

Thanks and Regards,

M.
moustafa_hindawi
Veeam Legend
Liked: never
Full Name: Moustafa Hindawi

Re: Several VMs are currently in a failover state. Quick question with regards to Reverse Replication

Post by moustafa_hindawi »

Hello

Re-add the production VM to the normal replication job and any backup jobs it was part of previously, as its Ref-ID may have changed, and you can user backup mapping. You can map the job to a specific backup stored in the backup repository. Backup job mapping can be helpful if you have moved backup files to a new backup repository and want to point the job to existing backups in this new backup repository. You can also use backup job mapping if the configuration database got corrupted and you need to reconfigure backup jobs.

For more information:
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=120
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Several VMs are currently in a failover state. Quick question with regards to Reverse Replication

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
the KB article says "Ref-ID may have changed"... I tried it out because it made no sense to me... mapping the replica to an existing VM should not change the Ref-ID. Yes, I know, "should" :-)

Result: the incremental backup is small. It's not a full backup.

I will ask the KB author to add details on the "may".

Best regards,
Hannes