Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Tom_LeFx
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time

Upgrade from v11 CE to v12 turned Offsite Repo to Hardened

Post by Tom_LeFx »

I upgraded my Veeam B&R Community server to V12 today. The Upgrade install went smooth - but the component upgrade afterwards messed something up:

I currently run 2 repos:
* On-Site Linux Repo without immutability -> this one upgraded without a problem
* Off-Site Linux Repo connected through VPN with immutability but WITHOUT single-use-credentials -> this one was "turned" to a "Hardened Repository" by the upgrade-process - and the upgrade-process failed for it, because it is shown as "Out of date"

Running the Upgrade on the second repo ends in a failure and if I want to enter its settings, it tells me, that it is unable to use the server as it is registered with saved credentials (...you don't say?) and a hardened repo would require me to use single-use credentials.
I don't want to run a fully hardened one with single-use creds...it's too complex for me personally to maintain and according to the documentation, I should not be forced to do so - the other repo on-site works just fine as well, no?

What happened there and - more important: how can i fix it?
Tom_LeFx
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time

Re: Upgrade from v11 CE to v12 turned Offsite Repo to Hardened

Post by Tom_LeFx »

---
Update:
I was able to fix the errors.
Still - the repo remains listed as "Hardened" - but it works. Why is that and why was there no information this would be done "automagically"?
Regnor
VeeaMVP
Liked: 291 times
Full Name: Max

Re: Upgrade from v11 CE to v12 turned Offsite Repo to Hardened

Post by Regnor »

With V12 the hardened repository can only be added with single-use credentials. Before both was possible but from a security perspective it didn't make sense to store the credentials inside Veeam. And for future updates the credentials aren't necessary anymore.
https://www.veeam.com/kb4348

By the way this isn't more complex than before. The only difference is that you needed to enter the credentials once after the upgrade.
And you should have used a non-root user and disabled SSH after the setup.